Questions from a newbie - gloves, stamps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moiby

Reaction score
OK so I just made my first batch this morning and am looking forward to cutting it up tomorrow. :)

My questions are:

1) Do I need to use rubber gloves to handle the soap at this stage?

2) If I use a rubber stamp (from my stamp collection from my paper stamping days) will the soap damage my stamp?

Many thanks in advance. :)

I don't use gloves, but the soap at this stage is more drying so it would depend on what type of skin you have.
I have used stamps and they have been ok, I have used the clear silicone ones, the more chunky the design the better, small detail will be lost.

You don't HAVE to use gloves when cutting....and I usually don't. You will know if it's "too soon to cut" if it feels super uncomfortable for most recipes.

And ditto to the soap-stamp thing. Over time, I think it *will* wear them out, because they're not designed for soap...but, if you're not using them anyway, what the heck!

I use rubber stamps a lot (even with fairly fine details) - no damage thus far, but I always wash them very well afterward.

Oh, Great! Homemade stamps...just something else to addict me. We are just a bunch of addicted co-dependent enablers, aren't we???

you can try making your own stamps with polmer clay. There's a great tutorial here.
Do you think they would work in soap? I wonder how hard you could tap the handle to stamp hardened soap. Looks like they are using it in soft clay. Good idea, if it would work. Do you know anything about them, Kitkat?

Latest posts

Back