Questions about Tallow...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
Other than when I was kid soaping with Granny, I haven't really used animal fat in my soaps. I live by a butcher shop and we know the head butcher fairly well.

This got me thinking about using Beef tallow. Since I have never worked with Beef tallow, I have a few questions.

1. If I get some beef suet from him and render it myself, will my soap have a "beefy" smell? My granny used to render suet into tallow to make bird seed cakes for her bird feeders and fed the cracklins to the dogs.

2. When you make tallow soap, do you use 100% tallow or a blend of tallow and other oils.

3. How is the lather?

Also any other tips for using tallow in soap would be appreciated!!!

While I think you can use tallow (or any oil or fat for that matter) by itself, you would still want to blend with other oils. Coconut or PKO and another oil like sunflower. I use lard at about 55% of my fats/oils. It makes wonderful soap.

Put your formula through soapcalc and you'll see the qualities you will get.

Can't help with the other questions, but I would think as long as rendered over low heat, you would be fine.

I use tallow I render myself. No its not real beefy smelling You can make 100 % tallow soap I usually blend with other oils . To render I use beef fat with water and salt boil few minutes stirring occasionally pour thru a strainer let cool until hard.

I love using tallow in soap. I've never used it at 100%, but I know of many soapers who do. I use it as high as 60% in one of my formulas, and I use it along with lard and veggie oils in another. It makes a nice, hard soap. Oh- and no beefy smell at all.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I love using tallow in soap. I've never used it at 100%, but I know of many soapers who do. I use it as high as 60% in one of my formulas, and I use it along with lard and veggie oils in another. It makes a nice, hard soap. Oh- and no beefy smell at all.

i think I'll have the butcher grind the suet for me and do the boil method. My dogs will love the left over meaty bits!!

When you mix it with veggie oils, do you mix it with only "soft" oils? I've heard tallow traces fast. So if i mix it with olive oil you think that would be ok? Like 50/50?

As was stated, you can mix it with whatever you'd like in any ratio you'd like. Make small batches and see what formula you like best.

I've used tallow in some of my soaps, I just buy beef dripping in the supermarket..

SummerlandSoaps said:
IrishLass said:

i think I'll have the butcher grind the suet for me and do the boil method. My dogs will love the left over meaty bits!!

When you mix it with veggie oils, do you mix it with only "soft" oils? I've heard tallow traces fast. So if i mix it with olive oil you think that would be ok? Like 50/50?

You can use any other oils that you wish, hard or soft. In my soap with the really high amount of tallow I use olive and castor, and in my tallow/lard combo soap I use a mixture of hard oils/butters along with some soft oils.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my tallow soaps have never traced fast on me. I do tend to soap on the warm side, though, which is probably why. I've found doing so prevents a quick or pseudo-trace in my soaps made with a lot of hard fats/oils.

Latest posts

Back