questions about my recipe..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda_hughes

Reaction score
My daughter wants me to make her and her friends a pink swirled soap. This is the recipe I came up with-which I ran thru soapcalc-

Co-20%
Lard-60%
Oo-20%
5% SF, 1oz peach fo and 1oz raspberry fo, and water as % of oils-34%

H-44, cl-14, co-50, b-14, cr-30, iodine-53, ins-156

Lauric-10
Myristic-4
Palmitic-21
Stearic-9
Ricinleic-0
Oleic-43
Linoleic-6
Linoolenic-0

Can someone explain to me the importance of the last set of numbers.. mainly the oleic. Is it ok to be that high? Also I want a good lather-my daughter LOVES bubbles- could I add some sugar to create more bubbles and if so how much would I add and when? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Your numbers look OK except the bubbles. Why not adjust the lard to 55% and add 5% Castor oil. You will still have a hard, somewhat conditioning bar with more bubbles.

hi there! I don't pay as much attention to those lower numbers unless i'm really "fine tuning" an established recipe...I look at the number above that...

soapcalc sez:

hardness 44 (meaning you'll have a nice hard bar)
cleansing 14 (gentle effective cleansing)
conditioning 50 (on par with most general soaping recipes)
bubbles 14 (this means not a whole lot of big bubbles)
creaminess 30 (you'll get a lot of creamy, thick lather when properly cured)
iodine (anything under about 65 mean less likely for DOS spoilage)
INS (on par with soapmaking ideal parameters of 155-160, with the exception of high amounts of olive oil, like castiles)

I think this will be an ideal general family soap...I would probably hand stir this because of the high amount of lard...just a quick shot or 2 with stick blender will get it chugging along quite nicely.

I would add 1-2 tsps. sugar to the water before adding the lye to get a little bubble boost, too...superfat at 5% :razz: HTH!

hi there! I don't pay as much attention to those lower numbers unless i'm really "fine tuning" an established recipe...I look at the number above that...

soapcalc sez:

hardness 44 (meaning you'll have a nice hard bar)
cleansing 14 (gentle effective cleansing)
conditioning 50 (on par with most general soaping recipes)
bubbles 14 (this means not a whole lot of big bubbles)
creaminess 30 (you'll get a lot of creamy, thick lather when properly cured)
iodine (anything under about 65 mean less likely for DOS spoilage)
INS (on par with soapmaking ideal parameters of 155-160, with the exception of high amounts of olive oil, like castiles)

I think this will be an ideal general family soap...I would probably hand stir this because of the high amount of lard...just a quick shot or 2 with stick blender will get it chugging along quite nicely.

I would add 1-2 tsps. sugar to the water before adding the lye to get a little bubble boost, too...superfat at 5% :razz: HTH!

Thanks for the info! :)

Ok smf friends.. I made my soap last night. I went about it as I usually do. I separated the mix into two different containers, I wanted to swirl my soap, added my .5tsp red oxide to 1oz raspberry fo and added it. It did what it has done before-thickened it up to a med trace. Not too thick and not too thin. The other half I just added .75oz of peach fo. That did not do as I thought. Instead it seems like it became runnier and had a weird grainy look/texture to it. I haven't experienced this before. Was it maybe a false trace or a reverse trace? I have used the peach fo before with no problems. I went ahead and poured it into my mold along with the red portion. It did its own swirl action since one was thinner than the other. It didn't heat up at all. I put it in the fridge over night and this morning put it in my soap nook. Tried the zap test with the top and it still zaps and is still pretty soft but is hardening. Idk crossing my fingers I didn't Ruin this batch. Any thoooughts?

It sounds like the peach portion riced. Maybe wait a couple of days and zap test again.

Soo... I decided to rebatch the soap I made last night. It was still very zap happy, my tongue is a lil sensitive to prove it lol.. I just brke it up into chunks then kinda smashed it a bit in my crock, added a couple tbsps of distilled water, stir stir stir, let it melt and stirred some more, tried the zap test and NO ZAP! I then added a capfull of raspberry fo and stirred a bit more and then I was able to put it back into the soap mold. Ill put up a picture after its hardened. No more swirls just a solid red now. But I'm happy with it :)

Latest posts

Back