Question using soap calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsFusion

Reaction score
I've been reading this morning on Southern Soapers about DWCP. And now I'm confused again about which option to use on the soapcalc.

At first I used the "water as % of oil weight" at 38%. Then moved on to using "lye concentration" at 33%. But, now I'm wondering if I should be using the "water : Lye Ratio" ?

I want to try a recipe at 1.7:1, because I want to try using a water discount.

My question is- what option is the best to use? Or is it just a personal preference?

I'm trying to get this all figured out in my head. But, I get confused with the water discount, lye discount, lye concentration etc.

I finally do understand that the Lye Discount controls the superfat and Water Discount controls the lye concentration(thanks SS). So much technical stuff to get burned into my mind :)

I know there are a lot of newbies around right now, hope this is helpful to others as well :)

don't use oils:water - it makes no sense to me.

the lye concentration (%) and water:lye ration are the same thing - they just use different terminology because some people prefer rations (2:1) rather than percentages (33%). use the one you are more comortable with. I, myself, and a % woman.

Latest posts

Back