question on Palm oil-

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyebright

Reaction score
A few months ago, I purchased a 8lb bucket of Palm oil from Soaper's Choice. I never order anything from this company before and I from doing research the oil needs to be melted from the bucket. My question is once the oil is melted and transferred into smaller containers do I need to remelt the entire container or just scoop the amount I need. Would the steric acid be separated?

Thank you for any help on this.

All oils need to be melted before you soap them. Scoop out what you need, melt it, and soap.

Yes, even if you melted it and mixed it up and poured it into smaller containers the first time, you will have to melt it and mix it up again every time you want to use some. The stearic acid settles towards the bottom while it cools so unless you are stirring constantly while it cools, you're going to have to melt and stir before measuring every time.

You can buy the hydrogenated palm oil from SC, but it only comes in the 50lb container and buying it at this time of year isn't recommended unless you can drive and pick it up yourself because if it melts during transit to you, you're stuck back in the having to melt and stir before measuring cycle.

If you bought a small amount, it would be worth melting the entire container and then stirring frequently as it cools to keep the stearic mixed in. I have done this with 50 pound buckets as well. The entire thing needs to be fully liquid and then you stir it up with a paint stick or whatever you have that can get to the bottom, and be thorough, every 15 minutes or so as it cools down and becomes so thick and solid you can't stir anymore. Then store it someplace cool where it won't melt again. This can be an all day project with a 50 pound bucket, but will be less so with a smaller size. Then you can scoop out what you need and melt it prior to soaping without worrying that all the stearic's at the bottom.

I haven't done this myself, but I read a post on here about the same topic. The general consensus seemed to be that melting the entire pail at once and then portioning it into individual containers seemed to work. Example - if you use 5 oz of Palm in each batch then separate the entire pail into 5 oz containers. No need to melt and stir an entire pail each time you need it.

I haven't done this myself, but I read a post on here about the same topic. The general consensus seemed to be that melting the entire pail at once and then portioning it into individual containers seemed to work. Example - if you use 5 oz of Palm in each batch then separate the entire pail into 5 oz containers. No need to melt and stir an entire pail each time you need it.

Oh! Now I finally understand the concept of master batching!! this didn't even occur to me, since I have yet to buy any palm in that large a quantity. . . it never occurred to me, how tedious melting and stirring would be, EVERY TIME!!

Now, I understand. : ) Although, I'm weird, I still prefer to spend the time lollygagging with the tedious melting and stirring. : )

I read this about palm but didn't know this needed to be done even with smaller containers. I purchase 1 lb at a time and have only been melting what I need by putting the whole bottle in a warm pot of water. Sometimes the whole bottle doesn't melt and I've just poured out what I've needed. That means I've been using most of the stearic the first couple of uses. Oops!

I read this about palm but didn't know this needed to be done even with smaller containers. I purchase 1 lb at a time and have only been melting what I need by putting the whole bottle in a warm pot of water. Sometimes the whole bottle doesn't melt and I've just poured out what I've needed. That means I've been using most of the stearic the first couple of uses. Oops!

Same here. I knew not, as well. However, when I use it, I pour out some of the liquid and squeeze out some of the solids like toothpaste, as well. So, I'm definitely not getting only the stearic acid, but I certainly cannot guarantee it's not a properly mixed, even amount. Now I know!!

Some Palm Oil is homogenized and does not need to be melted/stirred.
Crafter's Choice is one.
Roy

Whew! I purchase Crafter's Choice. Thanks for the info! I will keep this in mind if I purchase from other sources though.

I live in Alabama and our house is kept a little warmer than most, I suppose. I melted mine once and it stays liquified for weeks. I just shake it up before I measure each time I soap.

Some Palm Oil is homogenized and does not need to be melted/stirred.
Crafter's Choice is one.
Roy

I said hydrogenated, I meant homogenized. However, my point stands that if it melts at any time, it still has to be melted and stirred every time because the stearic in it will settle. That is why Soaper's Choice has the disclaimer that they do on the homogenized palm:

Palm Oil, Refined, Bleached, Deodorized, Homogenized, No Stir($1.10 per pound)We will not refund, or credit, customers for any damaged, or melted product resulting from warm / hot weather.

Latest posts

Back