Question on lye concentration and effect on soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonette100

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just made two new batches today and had yet another question. I try to experiment with anything I can since i a still learning the ropes.

I seem to have found the perfect recipe for me and have been using a 30% Lye concentration and my soaps have been turning out pretty good.

Tonight I thought I'd try the soapcalc default (it said 27.091%).

My soap tonight was ALOT runnier than my previous batch at 30% lye concentration. I mean after gelling, it was still sloshing aroung in the mold like liquid. All my Fancy icing top were flat (and I mean flat).

Does 2 oz of water in a 2.6lb batch of oil affect things this much? I guess in order to keep my top (icing swirls) I need to stick with a 30% or more lye concentration. Can anyone please confirm this for me?

Thanks,

Mike M

Are the 2 ounces of water extra? How much water total did you have? what is the amount of lye that you used?

Yafa

mmonette100 said:
Hi All,

Does 2 oz of water in a 2.6lb batch of oil affect things this much?
Thanks,

Mike M

Yes, without a doubt, most absolutely! :)

I used to use the SoapCalc's default when I first started soaping a little over two years ago, but I now use a 33% lye solution for most of my soaps. The difference is so amazingly remarkable that I've never gone back to SoapCalc's default of 27%, or what is termed a 'full water' amount. If I have a finicky F/O, I'll soap it at 30%, but that's the lowest lye solution percentage I'll use.

33% traces faster for me (but not so fast that I can't handle it), firms up much quicker, and my finished bars don't warp or dramatically shrink from all of the excess water evaporating from having had used a full water amount.

HTH! :)
IrishLass

Thanks so much!! - I will try a batch at 33% today. My 30% batches turned out wonderful

I just unmolded my two 27% batches this morning nad they look great but they are totally flat!!

Thanks again! This is a great hobby - so many variables!

Mike

mmonette100 said:
I mean after gelling, it was still sloshing around in the mold like liquid.
sounds like your mix wasn't truly emulsified/at trace. You'd have to use a hell of a lot of water to end up with sloshing soap AFTER gel.

yes a little more water can impact things, but if you bring your soap topping to heavy trace in the bowl before putting it in the mold you can easily get past that.

Thanks ! They came out ok today... I will definitely soap at at least 30% Lye solution from now on - preferably 33%. The only reason I tried at full water is that I used half goat's milk and needed more liquid since I needed to mix the water solution at 50%.

Mike

Like Amy said over at the Dish - it shouldn't matter. She and I both achieve it with full water.

Back