Question: Is a yogurt container too thin to store lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about masterbatching lye in small quantities (enough for maybe 3 or 4 loaves) and was wondering what people think about using these types of yogurt containers (with #5 on the bottom):

Is the plastic too thin, or does it matter as long as it's #2 / #5?

Thanks y'all.

Good question! I have absolutely no idea how the thinness would be affected over the long-term, but even if it did hold up great, the lid concerns me because it's not a secure, tight-fitting/air-tight type of lid, such as a screw-on lid. I'd be afraid of the container either getting knocked over and the lid popping off, or of the lid letting enough air get inside over time, thereby weakening the concentration.

If it were me, I would be on the lookout for small, 10 oz. (#5) bottles of liquid laundry detergent (they make them that small for a doing a couple of loads of laundry). Re-claimed liquid detergent bottles with a secure, tight-fitting lid with a no-drip spout (most of which are made of heavy-duty #5) are perfect for the task. That's what I store mine in, only I use a bigger size- big enough to make about seven or eight 2.8 lb. batches. My solution holds up pristinely in such containers for well over a year (and counting).

IrishLass :)

Good question! I have absolutely no idea how the thinness would be affected over the long-term, but even if it did hold up great, the lid concerns me because it's not a secure, tight-fitting/air-tight type of lid, such as a screw-on lid. I'd be afraid of the container either getting knocked over and the lid popping off, or of the lid letting enough air get inside over time, thereby weakening the concentration.

If it were me, I would be on the lookout for small, 10 oz. (#5) bottles of liquid laundry detergent (they make them that small for a doing a couple of loads of laundry). Re-claimed liquid detergent bottles with a secure, tight-fitting lid with a no-drip spout (most of which are made of heavy-duty #5) are perfect for the task. That's what I store mine in, only I use a bigger size- big enough to make about seven or eight 2.8 lb. batches. My solution holds up pristinely in such containers for well over a year (and counting).

IrishLass :)

Good call! A screw-on lid does seem much safer. I'll have to peek through my recycling to see if I have a detergent bottle.

I agree with IrishLass. The lid is more of the concern, and with the sides being thin like that. when you pick it up, you have the concern of the sides mashing in easily which could cause spills/splashes. I also do exactly as she does, only on a bigger scale.
I masterbatch 12lbs lye/12lbs water of lye solution at a time which will last me quite a long time.

Good call! A screw-on lid does seem much safer. I'll have to peek through my recycling to see if I have a detergent bottle.
Also, it is hard to get the smell out of detergent bottles, however, as long as they are thoroughly cleaned, that won't matter too much, but if it bugs you a vinegar rinse will help out loads.

The container would be chemically resistant, but it might get pretty soft if you put warm liquid in it, so making lye solution in it is not a good idea.

I'm with the others on this - That large snap lid would give me the willies; I want a screw cap for more security if the container should fall. I want the mouth to be designed for pouring liquids. Also, the thicker and more sturdy a container is, the easier and safer it will be to handle.

If you can't find what you need in your recycle bin, perhaps a trip to a thrift/secondhand store will turn up some appropriately sized & lidded #2 & #5 plastic containers. That's usually where I go when I need something for soaping and don't have it on hand. Depending on your locale, the variety can be good (or not) and the prices can be almost unbeatable (or not).

Even if the snap on lid was really secure, I would be afraid that when I popped it off, the lye would spatter due to the squeezing action of holding the base while taking the lid off. Those kinds of containers are designed for something more solid than lye solution.

I had some plastic spray bottles on hand (marked #2 HDPE and are very sturdy). The tops on a lot of those bottles are a pretty standard size to other types of bottles you may already have on hand (marinades/condiments/soy sauce/whatnot). What I did was remove the nozzle part, found a top that would fit and that is now what I use for my MB lye. HERE is a link to the the type of bottle I'm talking about, although I found mine at the dollar store and it says they hold 28 oz/828 ml on the bottle.

ETA: I make my MB lye in a bowl with a pour spout and once it's cooled completely I carefully pour it over a sink into the spray bottle and cap it with the screw-top.

Last edited:
I tried masterbatching lye ONCE, so please take this advice with caution... Would an igloo thermos work? Something like this:
upload_2018-2-16_16-36-48.jpeg

I don't know what the plastic is, but it would be easy to pour from and into as more lye is made, and very easy to clearly label that it is for lye only / poison/ etc. You can usually find them at thrift stores and garage sales. (I see you're in Canada, so garage sales are probably off the list for a few months...)

Igloo hard plastic exterior is supposed to be HDPE; the internal white liner is FDA-grade polypropylene. The layer between is some sort of polyurethane foam, but the lye should not come into contact with that. So since the lye would only come in contact with the polypropylene, I think that container should work, amd.

Back