Question about Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araseth

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to all this but really excited to give it a try. I'm a student so currently staying in a small room with a window, which is where I would like to make my soap. I was just wondering if this will be ventilated enough with the window open? And if anyone can tell me what I should expect for the smell of the lye, will it be too strong do you think? Thanks in advance :)

Lye has a very strong odor when mixed with water, definitely do not breathe it in. Letting the fumes out a window should work just fine though.

Do you have a vent-a-hood on your oven? I mix mine under one of those...so it sucks the fumes right out.

But yes, a window should work as well.

I was scared to death to do soap in my kitchen since I have kids and dogs, but, really, I don't even notice the fumes from the lye unless I'm pretty close to it. I just hold my breath while I stir it into my water (sitting in the sink) and walk away for a minute or two, then stir some more to make sure the lye is dissolved.

Unfortunately I don't have on of those vent-a-hoods, will see how the window goes. Thanks for abating my concerns about the lye. Feeling much more confident now I know what to expect.

I make soap in the kitchen, with all the dogs and cats confined in other areas of our house. My sense of smell is a bit faulty due to chronic allergy/sinus issues. When I make my lyewater, I just turn my face away from the pitcher, and stir at arm's length. I don't smell anything, but I do feel a "burn" in my nose when the lye and water heat up, so when I feel this I just step away for a minute.

You have a source of running water close to where you're going to soap, right?

The fumes dissipate really quickly. When it's too cold to mix outside, I mix mine in the garage (no ventilation) and the smell is gone within a minute or so.

A trick I've been doing lately is to cover my lye after I give it a good mix. The cover helps to keep the lye fumes down. :)

Your window should be fine... but you could add one of those dual window fans and set it to pull air out.

I pre-mix my lye outside in large batches so when I actually make my soap there are few if any fumes to deal with. There are lots of threads on this subject (master batching) if you want to consider this option.

if you stir in a tbs of sugar to your water before you mix in the lye it really helps control the fumes i've found. i do 1 tbs PPO.

Latest posts

Back