Question about lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonna

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on here :) Been really busy with kids and family!! I just have one question....maybe it's been a while since I've done some research on soap but there is a lady in town here selling homemade olive oil soap and she claims there no lye in it...is this possible? My theory and from what I've always read is "no lye, no soap" Can you made CP soap without lye??? Thanks!!!

And to add to this the soap has Tetrasodium EDTA listed in the ingredients but other than that, it's all oils and colours. It also claims to be olive oil soap but lists nothing but other oils in the ingredients (tallow, palm, cocoa butter and so on)

I've also heard "no lye no soap" but in several publications, I've read that, after the saponification process takes place, all the lye is eaten up.
So technically there is no lye in soap that is properly made, therefore they don't have to list it on the label. Maybe that's what she meant? I'm not familiar with cp soap that doesn't take lye.

I'm sure she's right - there is no lye IN it. but if it's CP then lye was used to create it and consumed in the reaction.

It's entirely possible she's using a soap base and just doesn't know. Could even be MP soap. Regardless, if there is an "oil-ate", a caustic material (i.e., lye) absolutely was utilized to create it.

Latest posts

Back