Q: Lye 'pockets'?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the warnings others have given about this salt, I wouldn't use this type of salt at all. If you add it to the top, you need to tell people to cut off the top of the soap to remove the crystals before use. It has a good chance of lacerating the skin if left on or in the soap. Any kind of salt on top of the soap can absorb water from the air in humid weather. This will make the soap wet and goopy.

Really? That's weird. I use them all the time without any issues.

Really? That's weird. I use them all the time without any issues.
Maybe you haven’t been through a humid summer with salt on the top of your soap yet?
I wholeheartedly agree with DeeAnna that using Himalayan salt in or on soap is not a good idea. I’ve drawn blood on my arm from Himalayan salt on my prettily decorated soaps and others have dissolved it only to discover that it recrystallises in soap and still manages to lacerate people.
Try sea salt with no additives or canning salt.

Maybe you haven’t been through a humid summer with salt on the top of your soap yet?
I wholeheartedly agree with DeeAnna that using Himalayan salt in or on soap is not a good idea. I’ve drawn blood on my arm from Himalayan salt on my prettily decorated soaps and others have dissolved it only to discover that it recrystallises in soap and still manages to lacerate people.
Try sea salt with no additives or canning salt.

Maybe I just don't rub myself with it hard enough. lol I do usually use the fine version, as opposed to the coarse version, so maybe that's why I've never had any trouble.

Will coarse sea salt be ok? Or do I need to use fine stuff?

Maybe I just don't rub myself with it hard enough. lol I do usually use the fine version, as opposed to the coarse version, so maybe that's why I've never had any trouble.

Will coarse sea salt be ok? Or do I need to use fine stuff?
Do you use a washer? Then maybe you wouldn’t be effected but if you use soap directly on your skin even the fine Himalayan salt will cut you.

Coarse sea salt won’t cut you but it is not as easy to dissolve, or mix in. It may leave air pockets in the soap if not fully mixed properly.
Fine sea salt with no additives (iodine or anticaking agents) is a better solution.

Do you use a washer? Then maybe you wouldn’t be effected but if you use soap directly on your skin even the fine Himalayan salt will cut you.

Coarse sea salt won’t cut you but it is not as easy to dissolve, or mix in. It may leave air pockets in the soap if not fully mixed properly.
Fine sea salt with no additives (iodine or anticaking agents) is a better solution.

I've bought soaps in the past with the pink salts in and never had a problem - maybe I've just been lucky. When I've made soap in the past, I've used it on top (albeit the fine version) and not had any issues either. Maybe I'll give it a miss from now on just in case.

It's really there for decoration more than anything, so if coarse sea salt doesn't present a risk, then I might use that in its place - just so it's a bit more 'notable'. I want it to look a bit shiny in the light, like little crystals.

Latest posts

Back