PVC mold NO LINER!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphTheMastiff

Reaction score
Ok so I thought i would share my findings.

So far i have made about 80 lb of soap in 2 ft pic pipe 3 lb at a time. I only had one time where i had a problem getting the soap out, put it outside to freeze for a bit (i think it was -10 f out) and it came right out.

Now that the molds are used a little the soap comes right out, like RIGHT OUT! I read so many people who have trouble and i wonder what is different. SO i thought i'd ask!

For me my house stays around 20% humidity, the room i'm soaping in stays around 60 dF, I un mold 20-24 hours after poring. I pore at a Med. trace. No water discount, i found it makes them come out a little slower with a water discount. I drop the cylinder on the floor a few times until the soap moves.

I unfold using compressed air, Low, 20 psi MAX***** and the soap comes out at about 2 inches a second.

I'm wondering what makes the conditions in my house so easy to un mold without a liner compared to the people whop struggle for days on end to get the soap out.

Edit ***** When i say 20 psi max i mean I shot some soap like a cannon across the room like i was reenacting a civil war battle. When i say max 20 psi i been don't try anything higher. Its dangerous, unless we want to start a new thing the like pumpkin thing but with soap.

Maybe it's your unmolding method. I don't have an air compressor to aid my soaping (I also haven't had the inspiration to use a column or pvc mold yet)

Having the set up to use compressed air is the key to your success in unmolding.
Also the release technique helps. That breaks any light bonding there may be with a surface imperfection on the pipe ( mold).

I'd love to see a picture of the end cap you are using. I *think* I know what it looks like already.:twisted:

Its simple A valve hooked to a pipe reducer to a cupler to the pipe, air compressor with a regulator and a tinny little tank ($69 at home depot)

I was thinking i could make them and sell them to soapers but really once one get out people would just make them haha on the other hand there are lots of people who won't have the ability to make it on there own, again on the other hand all it take is someone hooking up to a non regulated air supply at 180 psi and exploding it and i would not want to take on that liability either.

John

Back