Pumpkin Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a pumpkin oatmeal buttermilk soap this weekend. I added three ounces of pumpkin (roasted it myself), because I'd read somewhere to use an ounce ppo. Three pound batch. I took out a bit of it, added some TD, to the base I added a Pumpkin Brulé FO. It discolors to a medium brown. I am not pleased with the level of 'pumpkin' color in it. How much pumpkin should I have used? It's still a lovely soap, and smells divine. Thoughts?

pumpkin-brulé-discolored.jpg

I'm thinking the amount of puree was within limits. The FO is going to darken to a brown and I'm not sure you could counteract that with trying to use some colorant to allow the brown to come to more of an orange tint. Maybe some copper or some red?

I can't smell it :), but I'd agree with you on the looks. Love the swirl. Great looking soap.

Last edited:
I soap with 50/50 lye solution, and have used pumpkin for the balance of liquid. I usually seperate out and add in some tumeric and or annato for upping the pumpkin color. Fortunetly my Pumpkin Spice FO turns a pumpkin pie color. Forgot to mention that I also use my carrot infused sunflower oil in pumpkin soap since it is such a gorgeous orange colored oil.

I have used frozen pumpkin on place of all liquid for a small batch. It was very difficult to know if all the lye dissolved so I strained it. The batch turned out great. But if you are using a discoloring fo the pumpkin color won't show.

Latest posts

Back