Psoriasis Pine Tar update

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
It has been 4 weeks now that I have been useing my 20% Pine Tar soap on the Psoriasis on my knee with no effect what so ever. I am off to the Quack next week so I will see what she suggests. I have read that alchohol abuse agravates Psoriasis yet I have had it on my knee for all of 35 years that I looked at the world through the end of a bottle and it never bothered me. When I stopped drinking 2 years ago was when the psoriasis all of sudden started to itch but not quite enough to encourage me to fall of the wagon. Has anyone had any success with other home remedies? I cant start drinking again as I cant afford both booze and soaping supplies, must mean an addiction is setting in. Steve :D

Steve, I'm new and don't know you, but by all means keep making soap instead of drinking...

LOL...

Oh, and I'm so sorry the pine tar soap didn't work. I have eczema and was hoping to hear a good report when I saw your title.

No real advice, I'm sorry to say. My step dad has been fighting the psoriasis battle for years and hasn't found a thing that really works. I was hoping the pine tar would help, if I could ever stand to try making another bar with it again. According to my instructors it is an autoimmune disease. :(

HI! Usually when you drink that alcohol is metabolized into sugar in your body. Although your not drinking anymore(congrats! this is a great accomplishment) this sugar has most likely caused a candida overgrowth in your body. You best an most permanent fix would be to fix the problem of the candida rather than treating the source. Try googling a Candida clense. While your cleansing your body to treat your current outbreak mix about 20-30 drops of Tea Tree Oil in to about 1/4-1/2 cup of Extra Virgen Olive Oil and apply this to your affected areas 3-4 times a day. If you want to make more of a salve you can add a little coco-butter or beeswax to solidify it a little. Soapwise I would use a mild oatmeal and goats milk bar. Hope that helps. (((This all coming from the daughter of a natropath, wife of a psoriasis sufferer, and dreamer of eventually being a NMD myself) ;)

Oh I forgot to add, if you want a less natural treatment you can treat it with a perscription of nystatin.

I know eczema and psoriasis are not the same, but our eczema cleared up when we left commercial soaps in the dust - some are sensitive to detergents not only from bar soaps but also in the laundry so I suggest double rinsing all your clothes.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this - but worth the trade off!

Congrats!

I will try the Teatree oil first as I have read that the prescription medication can clear it up a bit with the chance it may come back even worse. I will look into the Candida cleanse and maybe my bachelor diet of pizza's and canned food could do with a shake up as well. I will soon be making my own laundry detergent and this may help. Stopping drinking also coincided with starting work in the Kaolin Industry and I am always covered in dust, I wonder if this has a drying effect? I am thnking a poultice of Teatree oil, Olive oil and Kaolin might help? I count my blessings that all I have to worry about in my life is an itchy knee. Steve :D

My DH has psoriasis on about 65% of his body, some patches worse than others. The whole time we have been together he has not been able to use commercial soap, he used to wash his hair with neutrogena t-gel and then wash his body with the lather from that as he rinsed his hair.
Until I started making soap, now he can use soap!!
Goatmilk is the best for his skin, it actually has helped reduce the redness and bumpiness of some of the patches, I think it must be the lactic acid in the milk.
He can use most of my other soap without irritation, but i have found the gm the best as far as actually treating the condition goes.

G'day Steve, different things work for different people. Pop into Coles and buy a pot of their plain Organic yoghurt and eat a bit every day and slather a bit on your knee and rub it in. I was pleasantly surprised when the patch of psoriasis on my elbow improved and the itching stopped almost immediately with the yoghurt. It's important to keep the area moisturised and the yoghurt will do that too.

Other things to try: Organic Rosehip Oil, Dilute Neem Oil.

i don't have any advice to offer, ewe, but i did want to congratulate you on 2 sober years!!! great job, man! i can guarantee you, any effects of psoriasis are less damaging to your body than alcohol :wink:

you da man! keep up the great work! :D

Saltysteele said:
i don't have any advice to offer, ewe, but i did want to congratulate you on 2 sober years!!! great job, man! i can guarantee you, any effects of psoriasis are less damaging to your body than alcohol :wink:

you da man! keep up the great work! :D

I am with Salty...Congrats on the sobriety... That is an accomplishment that needs high praise ! :)

Second......sometimes over treatment is the worst treatment ! It just causes more irritation.

I have a friend who just uses plain lard soap......and it is helping him. Sometimes less is more. :)

Not saying it will help you....... just saying it does him...:)

Vic

A close friend has psoriasis quite badly. He's seen a HUGE improvement doing two things:

- Plain Goat's Milk Soap - either castile or 75% olive, 20% CO, 5% Castor. No fragrance.

- Cutting MSG out of his diet. It's in almost everything that is prepackaged, and there are literally dozens of ways to label MSG without coming out and saying it. Do some research on this. It may be worth a try changing to a diet of natural, fresh foods for a few months to see if it makes a difference. High starch/sugar/carb diets seem to exacerbate skin conditions and autoimmune problems, too.

Congrats on the sobriety! What an accomplishment!

Thank's to all of you for all the advice on the dreaded Psoriasis and I now feel proud that I stopped drinking. :oops: The turning point there was when my the 11 yo son said to me "Dad, you had too much to drink last night". With a bit of luck he wont drink at all. I have a standing offer to each of my three son's that if they don't smoke I will give them $1000 cash on top of what ever I buy them for their 21st birthday. That amount of money is a lot to me as although I am a tradesman with many qualification's I only earn peanut's as I work in an area where there is little work. My oldest is 21 now and his eyes lit up when I handed him his wad of cash as in the past the only way I gave him money was if he worked for me. This offer beats peer pressure hands down. I have also a standing offer of $1000 if they dont drink as well but to date only my 13 yo son is still in the running for this money, I figure if he is 21 yo and has heard all the horror stories I tell him about all the stupid thing's I did whilst pickled to the gill's then I am in for a chance. I will make up some Goat Milk soap asap, I did not want to tackle it until I had a bit of experience with ingredients that dont go off real easy. :D

Some of the first goat milk soaps I made were 75% lard and I still make them now as friends keep asking for them and they are also one of my favourites as you can't get much milder. I have some that are over 1 year old and they are still perfectly fine. :wink:

Latest posts

Back