Protective equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use gloves, long pants and closed toed shoes. The one time I thought I could get away with sandals, I spilled batter on my feet. I had to stop, wash my feet and my shoes. It wasn't worth it.

I do wear prescription safety glasses with side shields. They're what I wear at work. They don't slide off my face or obstruct my view. They have a pretty big coverage area. If I have my contacts on I always wear goggles. I also don't wear long sleeves during the summer months. If I feel any itch, I stop and rinse that spot (most of the time it's in my mind!). I try to wear long sleeves if I can set the AC to 76 or less which usually begins in October and goes through May. I just can't do it June to September. I have spilled batter on myself mid soaping and had to take my shirt off once. I'm planning on getting a lab coat after I move. It will make things easier and I won't have any excuse during the summer.

Absolutely I wear goggles, gloves, and closed shoes. Like several, long sleeves have proven problematic, as I've had to do the emergency strip when it got on my sleeve. Until I can get a couple of cheap lab coats, it's simpler to stick to a either short sleeves or rolled up sleeves.

I have a pair of rubber washing up gloves I use when I mix lie, and that's all they're used for. I stick with my double layer glove method for soaping itself.

I'm planning on getting a lab coat after I move. It will make things easier and I won't have any excuse during the summer.

My 'real' job is in a hospital and I have several lab coats. I used to wear my old Hello Kitty ones (from years past when we could wear whatever the heck we wanted in the hospital) while soaping, but honestly I find it easier and more comfortable to soap in a tshirt or tank top. I've found that soap batter saturates the fabric and creates a larger area of contamination before I even notice I've splashed any on myself. The reaction is much quicker and more easily contained when it's on bare skin.
This is JMHO, so please stay safe and cover yourselves if that is what you are comfortable with :)

You might think that I am a little bit weird with all the protective equipment I wear. But I wear this when making soap:
A lab coat
A rubber apron over my lab coat (gets hot, but I don't mind)
A face mask (either a surgical mask or a respirator mask)
Goggles
A kerchief to get my hair out of the way
Rubber boots
Dishwashing gloves secured to the sleeves of my lab coat with duct tape

I know some people only wear the mask while mixing the lye. I, though, wear my mask the entire time while making soap.

Same principal that applies to frying bacon. My 6' 6" BIL once told the family (at a holiday dinner, no less) about the lesson he learned about not frying bacon when you're naked. Ended up wearing loose fitting pants for several days.....

Hahaha!!
Sorry...:oops::shifty:

I wear goggles, apron and heavy duty kitchen gloves. I check gloves regularly for holes. I find nitrile gloves selling here quite pathetic, they rip and they are quite short. Can't keep steeling good ones from work (I'm a nurse). Latex is a no for me, I developed an allergy.
I need gloves that cover most of my forearm since most of the accidental smears of raw soap happened around there.
I'm guilty od not wearing long sleeves and closed shoes. I might rethink that strategy since an oven cleaner burnt a 10c size hole on my neck few weeks ago. I'm pretty bad when it comes to discovering lye on my skin. It usually takes about 15mins to start stinging and by that time burn is already there. :(

I wear goggles, apron and heavy duty kitchen gloves. I check gloves regularly for holes. I find nitrile gloves selling here quite pathetic, they rip and they are quite short. Can't keep steeling good ones from work (I'm a nurse). Latex is a no for me, I developed an allergy.
I need gloves that cover most of my forearm since most of the accidental smears of raw soap happened around there.
I'm guilty od not wearing long sleeves and closed shoes. I might rethink that strategy since an oven cleaner burnt a 10c size hole on my neck few weeks ago. I'm pretty bad when it comes to discovering lye on my skin. It usually takes about 15mins to start stinging and by that time burn is already there. :(

You can go to your local medical supply store (Call the DME stores if you don't know a local medical supply. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.) and buy real nitrile gloves of the same quality as the hospital. They are about 2-3 times the price of the Walmart ones, though.

You can go to your local medical supply store (Call the DME stores if you don't know a local medical supply. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.) and buy real nitrile gloves of the same quality as the hospital. They are about 2-3 times the price of the Walmart ones, though.

I'm in Australia :) but thanks for the info. It might be helpful for folks in US.
I had a look online and I think I've found ones that were quite OK. They are different brand than those at the hospital.
I think my husband picked them up the cleaning supplies store. It's just down the road so I might pop in to get some.
I do remember they were quite pricey, about $25-30 per box.:shock:

Just curious, what protective equipment do you wear while making soap?

Ready to soap!!

BR127T-2.jpg

How about face masks when mixing the lye? I find the fumes to be awful. Does anyone use a respirator mask? I use good quality painter's masks but I can still have my breath taken away from the lye mix.

How about face masks when mixing the lye? I find the fumes to be awful. Does anyone use a respirator mask? I use good quality painter's masks but I can still have my breath taken away from the lye mix.

I either mix outside or under the exhaust fan inside. And I have long arms. The lye "fumes" may very well be tiny droplets of steam that have a touch of lye being carried along. Do not mix in any situation where you cannot avoid breathing those fumes.

I dump the lye into the water on top of the stove so its directly under the hood with the fan on high. also wear goggles and "Atlas Glove" brand 26-Inch long sleeve nitrile coated cotton lined work gloves.

Latest posts

Back