Pringles Can?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberryred

Reaction score
I know lots of people have used Pringles cans for a round soap. I've done it once before with no issues, so yesterday I tried it again. I didn't line it with anything or do anything, so maybe that was my issue, but when I unmolded my soap it had all these indents in it and if you looked inside the can it looked like a layer of film had bubbled up.

soap.jpg

This is the worst area- it looks like thumbprints all over it.

insidecan.jpg

This is the best picture I could get to try to show the inside of the can.

Does this usually happen if you use a Pringles can?

Genny said:
If you don't line it, the aluminum reacts with the lye to form hydrogen gas. :(

Good to know! I know I've had friends use it without lining it and never had any problems, so I wonder why they didn't, but mine did? At least now I know to always line it! It shouldn't hurt the finished bars though, right? It's just cosmetic now that I can cut off?

I've only used the Pringles cans for HP soap, and they worked well. I would agree that the lye in CP soap would have a negative effect when in contact with the aluminum inside the can.

Some pringles cans are plastic, maybe those are the ones they're using?

Personally, I wouldn't use it since I honestly don't know what hydrogen gas can or cannot do to soap.

Genny said:
Some pringles cans are plastic, maybe those are the ones they're using?

Personally, I wouldn't use it since I honestly don't know what hydrogen gas can or cannot do to soap.

No, it was the cardboard ones because they would just rip them apart to get the soap out.

I really hope it isn't ruined, it smells sooooo good! I'll have to see if I can find any information on what hydrogen gas can do to soap.

OK, so from what I've read, the can is actually lined with a plastic lining, so unless I somehow ripped a hole in the lining it should be ok. It did get really hot and start to crack on the top so I thought it was overheating, so I hurried and put it in the fridge and that calmed it down a ton. So I wonder if it just got hot and that's what made the plastic lining basically bubble, not that it came into contact with the aluminum behind the plastic lining. I might still be safe to use it!

I found a few threads on here where lots of people have used them unlined and even if the outside didn't look the absolute best on the sides, everything else about it was good.

Just used a pringles can the first time the other day...but it was to rebatch some soap that i think seprated during the cure and came out a bit too oily for my taste...all i did was melt down the oily cp soap and poured in the can unlined....worked perfectly! As for making CP in there directly, I wouldnt without lining it...the lye my react with the aluminum lining of it. And even if the lining of the can is not aluminum and something else, the bottom metal piece is still aluminum...I'd at least just throw some wax paper in there before using it for direct cp molding.

I love round soaps and cannot get enough of them at the moment and what I did was buy a roll of flat polytubing from a packaging place. I just cut tie a knot in the end and pour the soap............................love it just cut peel and throw away no mold to clean out Yay will add a pic for you sorry but seems photobucket sometimes just will not resize drives me batty :0)
RoundSoaps004.jpg

What can we all say Lyn....lol....you come up with the best ideas...Great tip..I'll have to remember this one the next time I'm using my bar mold and have extra soap left over and dont know where to pour it....
jerry :wink:

Lynnz said:
I love round soaps and cannot get enough of them at the moment and what I did was buy a roll of flat polytubing from a packaging place. I just cut tie a knot in the end and pour the soap............................love it just cut peel and throw away no mold to clean out Yay will add a pic for you sorry but seems photobucket sometimes just will not resize drives me batty :0)
RoundSoaps004.jpg

That is so awesome!! Thank you for the tip!

Latest posts

Back