Price of Coconut Oil at Walmart-UPDATE-WOO-HOO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackiK

Reaction score
I read in another post where someone purchased coconut oil at Walmart for $2.50 a pound. Tried to find the original thread but couldn't. When I went today, it was $20+ for 29 ounces. OUCH! That's 69 cents an ounce. Guess it's back to AAA Chemical for me.

Well, being the penny pincher that I am, I couldn't give up on the great price for Lou Ana coconut oil. Found out two other WalMarts in my area do carry it. Went to both stores and bought 20 pounds of it. Also hit a Kroger on the way home and got Olive Oil for 17 cents an ounce versus the 18 cents I pay at AAA Chemical. They've actually gone up on the price of their coconut oil and it's 25 cents an ounce.

Couldn't stand it and picked up some piping bags and tips to give the cupcake soap a go. I gotta stop spending money now.

Re: Price of Coconut Oil at Walmart

JackiK said:
I read in another post where someone purchased coconut oil at Walmart for $2.50 a pound. Tried to find the original thread but couldn't. When I went today, it was $20+ for 29 ounces. OUCH! That's 69 cents an ounce. Guess it's back to AAA Chemical for me.
I get mine at walmart it was $5.98 for 31.5oz its about $0.19 a oz

Re: Price of Coconut Oil at Walmart

[/quote] I get mine at walmart it was $5.98 for 31.5oz[/quote]

Isn't it amazing how the prices can vary so much from area to area? I almost fainted when I saw it. I can get ten pounds for $39.99 just a short drive away. $40 at Walmart would only get me a little over 3 and a half pounds.

The Super Walmarts around me (MA and NH) no longer sell the Lou Ana co. That was the only place I could buy it locally. :cry:

I can get the LouAna CO from Walmart for $5 for almost two pounds. But I have to go to Baltimore. I can't get it at home. Lucky for me, I go to Baltimore a lot.

I guess living in the south has its disadvantages. When I looked up Lou Ana coconut oil, it shows my local walmart has the 31.5 ounce jars. I'll have to go to customer service. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. They've changed our store all around and it's difficult to find anything.

I buy the LouAna from Kroger, it goes on sale sometimes for 4.99 or 4.89. It's usually like 5.49. Walmart here has it for 5.28 most of the time.

It took me Going in twice and scouring the oil section to find the louana. The first time I only found the outrageously overpriced organic stuff you found. They keep the cheap stuff all the way at the end on the bottom shelf at the store by my house. Good luck.

coconut oil

I bought the Lou Ana's for $5.98 in that comes out to $.189 per ounce. My Walmart is 50 miles away so drive 100 miles, with gas $3.04 per gallon, at least here in Montana. I can get it from Wholesale Supplies Plus for $25.24 for a gallon or 128 ounces, with free shipping. That makes it $.197 per ounce, and Fed Ex brings it to my door. They sell 480 ounces for $75.60, or $.14 an ounce. Just a thought.

walmart here carries 3 kinds of coconut oil now. The other 2 are organic, thats probably what you found. They are $20 plus for those jars. The Louann runs about $4 and is usually only 1 row stuck in the area around the bars of Crisco.

With gas prices going through the roof it might pay to get as much as you can whether WalMart or mail order without worrying about two or three cents a lb difference. You can bet it's going a lot higher shortly.

Dennis said:
With gas prices going through the roof it might pay to get as much as you can whether WalMart or mail order without worrying about two or three cents a lb difference. You can bet it's going a lot higher shortly.

You bet. That's why I bought all they had and planned my trip beforehand. I figure 20 pounds will last me a while. AAA chemical is quite a drive from my house compared to the two WalMarts and Kroger.

Back