Preservative Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am confused; when making syndet shampoo bars and solid conditioner bars, what is the best preservative to use. I have seen some use Phenonip and others use Liquid Germall Plus. Can either one of these be used, or is one better than the other?

I am no wiz when it comes to preservatives but I generally check to see if they will work in my product's pH range and whether they cover a broad spectrum. Benefits of Phenonip ® • Broad spectrum activity; effective against Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, yeasts and moulds. • Readily incorporated into formulations. • Retains activity over the range pH 3.0 - 8.0. • Liquid Germall Plus seems to be the prefered preservative in most syndet recipes. Liquid Germall Plus is effective over a broad pH range from 3-8 and is also a broad spectrum preservative. Since they both seem to have equal properties check to see how much your recipe would require of each and the cost and choose based on that.

The tutorials for syndet bars that I have seen add no preservative. I just posted a tutorial from Soaping101. She adds no water to her recipe and adds no preservative.

Preservative is a must in syndet shampoo bars, since the ph is not high enough to stop the ickies from growing, at least that is how I feel about it. Phenonip is the easiest to work with in Syndet bars because it can be used at higher heat than Liquid Germall Plus but I do think a water soluble such as LGP could be better. Problem with LGP is having to wait for the batter to cool down and mixing the LGP in thick batter.

Last edited:
I am confused; when making syndet shampoo bars and solid conditioner bars, what is the best preservative to use. I have seen some use Phenonip and others use Liquid Germall Plus. Can either one of these be used, or is one better than the other?

I purchased https://swiftcraftymonkey.blog/preservatives/ "Shampoo Bars You Will Love" and have made many of her recipes. It's a lot of information with so many helpful tips. Yes, Germall Plus in all of her recipes. Water plus anything should have preservative.

Latest posts

Back