preservative for ewax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxz123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been making lotions for quite a while, and every time i would make one my cream would curdle!Turns out it was my preservative!( I hope:)I was using Optiphen Plus and now wondering what preservative would be compatible with emulsifing wax? ANY SUGGESTIONS?I need something paraben free.

Thank you

I've not experienced curdled lotion before but I haven't used Optiphen either.

Can you explain more about your method, recipe and the point at which the curdling happens?

This is a common complaint with Optiphen, though I have not personally experienced it. Any preservative is compatible with e-wax, as e-wax is no-ionic. Liquid Germall Plus is very relaible and does not impact emulsion stability if added at 40 degrees Celsius. HTH!

From my experience Optiphen does not curdle lotion...Optiphen Plus does. I use Optiphen all of the time without problems.

After adding Optiphen plus my lotion( usually next day) looks like its separating, which I hate! My recipe is
75% water
15% oil
5-6% ewax

Also I'm trying to make a 'runny' lotion, but instead of runny looks very airy!Can anyone can tell me how to fix it?

I really need to fix this problem:))!

Thanks

Thank you!I would like to find something that is relatively safe for the skin.

All of the FDA approved preservatives we have access to are considered safe for skin. And bear in mind that you are using them at .5-1% of your entire formulation and only using a fraction of that fraction every time you use the product. Choosing a preservative is more about efficacy, behavior (ie causing separation, how it interacts with other ingredients, etc), and your target market (ie paraben free for the crunchy crowd). HTH!

Back