Pouring Things Like Lip Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 9 ounce paper cups from the store to mix and store small amounts of ingredients. They can be squished in half at the rim so that you can pour directly into the lip balm holder from the paper cup. I also pour when the lotions are still warm so the flow of oils into the balm holder is smooth and perfect.

Am I the only one who uses a pipette to transfer? So much easier than actually pouring. You might get some solidified in the pipette at the end of the batch, but you can just squeeze it out of the pipette back into the Pyrex and re-melt and use. Or, just keep it in the pipette for your own lips. My arms are always very moisturized when I'm making lip balms and testing....

I use the silicone lip balm filler trays.
I wouldn't make lip balms without them!
They are not that expensive.
These work better than the plastic trays because they stretch to fit different brands of tubes that might not always be the exact same size around even though they hold the same volume.
Mine holds 48 tubes and I've made several hundred balms with them.
You don't need to make that many though.
You can partially fill the tray with however many you need and they still work.
After heating in my double boiler I test the temp with a plastic coffee stir stick.
If it deforms the stir stick it will deform the tubes. Stir sticks I got for free from work as I only needed a few.
After filling I let them cool a bit then hit with a heat gun to fix the divot on top.
This is what works for me and is as hassle/mess free as it gets.

I have seen those trays, but wonder at the waste....do you just scrape what's on the top of the tray into the tubes? I know it's not, but it seems unhygienic to me! Just need to get over that.
The other thing is, I really only make 5-7 tubes of a particular recipe at a time...I may make 20-30 tubes at a time, but they're all different flavours and colours ;-)

I have seen those trays, but wonder at the waste....do you just scrape what's on the top of the tray into the tubes? I know it's not, but it seems unhygienic to me! Just need to get over that.
The other thing is, I really only make 5-7 tubes of a particular recipe at a time...I may make 20-30 tubes at a time, but they're all different flavours and colours ;-)

There is very minimal waste.
I scrape off the top and reheat.
If your careful and precise at pouring there is zero waste.
I'm not that steady handed but my friend Jane did it no problem. 48 tubes and she didn't spill a drop.
I wash mine in the dishwasher along with the other tools after scraping them clean first.
You could also sanitize it just prior to using it.
You could load 20-30 tubes and fill them with different flavors easily enough.
Just make sure there is a tube in each corner to hold the tray up properly.
I have a friend who prints all of my labels.
If I spill any on the sides it's a royal pain to get them clean so the labels will stick.
To each their own but like I said I wouldn't do lip balms without my silicone trays.

I scrape the top, remelt and pour. I am careful to keep things clean. I use a dough scraper like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stain...ocphy=9052156&hvtargid=pla-306143543904&psc=1

Got mine at Wal-Mart. I wipe it down thorougly, then run it through the dishwasher. The scraper and the pouring tray are sealed into a ziplock bag between batches.

Hobby Lobby has small trays that holds 12 tubes, which I really like. Wish somebody would make a mini tray in silicone!

If you do spill some on the tubes, you need to use a de-greaser to get them clean. Alcohol works pretty well. I also use Krud Cutter, which says it's a degreaser on the bottle.

I use a 1-cup Pyrex to pour straight into the lip balm tubes when the balm is 160°F or cooler. Hubby made me a tube holder by drilling 5/8" wide X 3/4" deep holes into a scrap piece of 9" X 1.5" redwood that holds 25 tubes. The holder is stained and varnished so it's easy to wipe off -- ready for the next use. Works for me. ;)

Last edited:
I use the silicone lip balm filler trays.
I wouldn't make lip balms without them!
They are not that expensive.
These work better than the plastic trays because they stretch to fit different brands of tubes that might not always be the exact same size around even though they hold the same volume.
Mine holds 48 tubes and I've made several hundred balms with them.
You don't need to make that many though.
You can partially fill the tray with however many you need and they still work.
After heating in my double boiler I test the temp with a plastic coffee stir stick.
If it deforms the stir stick it will deform the tubes. Stir sticks I got for free from work as I only needed a few.
After filling I let them cool a bit then hit with a heat gun to fix the divot on top.
This is what works for me and is as hassle/mess free as it gets.
Ditto!

I guess for me it's much easier to clean 1 filler tray than 48 individual lip balm tubes that I then have to apply labels to and the counter top etc.
And since the filler tray fits in my dishwasher with my small double boiler, Pyrex cup and other tools used it's not really that big of a deal.
I think, for me anyways, that I'm not quite steady enough to pour the tubes without spilling a little here and there.
I know some people can as my friend Jane did it, but I'm not quite skilled enough at tube filling.
That's a consideration for many people.
Can you pour steady enough not to spill?
If not then a filler tray is a great way to go.

I use the rubberband technique, but I always end up spilling. After my last round of lip balms (only 48 tubes) and having to wipe each one down before I could label, I added a tray to my wish list (just waiting for a sale, lol). I think it would be faster to clean the tray than 48 tubes of lip balm - just wipe the tray, spritz with alcohol, and wipe again.

I can see how you might spill more if you pour from a Pyrex cup, but with a pipette, it's easy to be clean. I may have to wash 1 in 25 tubes if I get shaky, and soap and water always works fine. I'm surprised no one else uses pipettes... It would never have dawned on me to pour into such a small target! :p

I tried to use a pipette once but it got clogged quickly because of the balm solidifying and building up layers. I had it heat up again, but overall just felt like it wasn't worth the bother... but I didn't experiment with it much and probably wasn't the best kind of pipette either.
I also just use a rubber band and pour from a little beaker (like this) which is pretty precise. And then wipe down something if I have to. (But only make 4-5 tubes at a time, I might go crazy with 40 somethings....)

Latest posts

Back