Lip Balm Calculations / PIF Records

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyCosmetics

Reaction score
Ive started making lip balms and i made up my own recipe in grams, which gives me around 14 tubes or pots (if they are 5ml each). Ive read about the CPSR's. Your base needs to be 90% and the other 10% is for essential oils, colours, etc. You can have up to 6 variations, as long as your base is the same and stays at 90%.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to work out a recipe in percentages?
Also, is there a PIF Record template i can use, to fill out for each batch i make?

I won't be applying for a CPSR for at least 6 months to a year, until i get my recipe and everything that goes along with it perfected. Im struggling with the calculations at the moment. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "work out a recipe in percentages"? If you mean you have the weight of each ingredient and you want to work out what percentage of the total each ingredient is, there is an online calculator at WSP, here:
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/Percentage_Calculator.aspx
I also want to say, 10% for essential oils, colors, and other similar additives is probably way too much. I usually use between 1% and 3% of flavor oil, even less for essential oil, and if I add color at all it's such a small amount of mica it only just barely registers on my jeweler's scale. If a recipe actually calls for 10% color, it is a lipstick and not technically a lip balm. Will they allow for greater than 90% base?

Thanks for replying. I just meant that if i total all my ingredients in grams, how do i know the percentage. Or is all your base Ingredients automatically 100% and it allows space for the 10% to be colours and essential oils? So im just wondering how i work out the extras in percentage. Hope you understand what i mean, i cant really explain it properly!

The base will allow for more than 90%. I think they're just meaning that you can't go below 90% as a base, so it gives you up to 10% to add other things. I think.

I understand what you mean about not adding a full 10% of colours, essential oils, etc. I dont either. I have my essential oil safety guide book, which states usage rates, and some essential oils can only be used in small amounts, like 0.5% or whatever.

I just checked the calculator you sent, and that's exactly what im looking for. You type in all your ingredients in grams and it gives you each individual ingredient in percentages. 6g of hemp oil was 9.23g. It totals everything up to 100%, so i think the cpsr allows for up to 10% for extras/variations in scent, bringing your base recipe down. For example: base 97% and extras 3% totalling 100%. I hope i got this right and it makes sense!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back