Possible batch pollution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfarms

Reaction score
Hello!

I just made a batch of goat milk soap, but might have ruined it. I put tumeric and paprika in the lye solution and when it came time to soap I started pouring it through a wire mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter. Almost immediately an acidic smelling white foam started forming. Some of this got into the oils. I took the coffee filter out quickly and added the rest of the lye solution through the strainer and continued to stir til trace. The acidic smell diminished and I decided to go ahead and add the essential oils just in case all was not lost.

So, I'm wondering if I just poured a possibly polluted batch of goat milk soap into the mold (for lack of knowing what else to do with it and in the hope that it's okay!)? Or is the soap all right? Also, what was the deal with all that? Was it the coffee filter possibly? I'm by no means a well-seasoned soaper, but that has never happened to me.

I would very much appreciate everyone's thoughts and wisdom on this one! I've been lurking around for a little while, and have benefited from the posts and experiences here so far!

Thanks!
Marlene

Hello, nice to meet you ^_^ I'm sorry this happened though :( Do you always use the wire strainer? If not have you made sure it's stainless steel? I only ask because lye can react with other metals (aluminum for sure) and produce hydrogen gas which I guess could have made foam with the liquid. If you do always use the strainer then yup it might have been the coffee filter, or something it was made with. Personally I would try the soap on my hands if it passed zap test and all, if it didn't hurt me then I'd use it for myself but I probably wouldn't give it away. But that's just me, someone else might think different :) I hope it's not ruined, fingers crossed.

I'm now not so certain if the wire strainer was stainless steel or not. I thought it was, or I wouldn't have used it. There is not any damaged or anything on the strainer after all that foam though. Would there be some visible sign of the reaction on the wire?

I was afraid it might be a throw away batch:( At least it wasn't a big one though.

Thanks for the help so far! Nice to meet you all too:)

If it's a strainer that was made in China, it's most likely not stainless steel, even though it might say it is. Anytime lye reacts with metal like that, you can be sure it's not stainless steel.

Just looked at the strainer and it is an EKCO brand and it says it was made in Mexico. Still no signs of damage on the strainer.

Will there be signs in my soap if it is unusable? Or should I just toss it and do over?

Latest posts

Back