Pomace Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found a wholesale grocery outlet that is close to my home. I went there tonight to look at prices on olive oil. I got a gallon of pure olive oil for $21 which is pretty good. However, they have pomace olive oil for $13 a gallon. I've not used that before in my soap but I know that many do. Would anyone that has used it share the pros and cons? Thanks.

I have found that the pomace is much more on the green side than regular olive oil. I am going to use it in an olive oil (60%) soap tomorrow. It will be interesting if it becomes green in color.

It seems like I've read that the pomace can have chemicals in it due to the extraction process. Can anyone confirm that?

bassgirl said:
It seems like I've read that the pomace can have chemicals in it due to the extraction process. Can anyone confirm that?

You are right. Olive Pomace Oil is extracted with Hexane.

I read where it was extracted using hexane. Think I'll just stick with pure olive oil - it's worth the extra cost to me. Thanks for your responses.

therusticcottage said:
I read where it was extracted using hexane. Think I'll just stick with pure olive oil - it's worth the extra cost to me. Thanks for your responses.

yeahhh i thought the same thing, the whole reason i got into soaping was to get away from those chemicals! :)

Hold on, don't a lot of people use extra light olive oil for their soaping? That also undergoes chemical processing. In fact that's what makes virgin olive oil so special.

I only eat extra virgin olive oil, but I use olive pomace in my soaps for the unsaponifiables.

Unless it says "Expeller Pressed", then it's solvent extracted using hexane.

Soy, Canola, Corn, Rice Bran, Coconut. All of them. Discouraging, but it is what it is. They say that the hexane evaporates and there isn't any left in the finished oil. Who knows if it is true.

unless you get fancy-schmancy stuff even your coconut oil is extracted with solvents.

I don't use pomace cause it tastes like crap - if I won't eat an oil I won't soap it. Probably not logical, but one reason for soaping for myself is that I get to do stuff like that.

I'm bumping this 'cause I need some help...
I'm not sure what Olive POMACE is exactly....is it the 'bottom of the barrel' stuff, or is it olive blended with other oils? I recall hearing both.

I got this fantastic deal on a Canola/Olive Oil Blend...30lbs. @ 85cents/lb.!! BUT....now I'm not sure how to use it.....

I know that the first ingredient is Canola so there is more canola than olive,(duh) but how much of each i'm not sure...I hope to find this out on Tuesday when I can call the manufacturer/distributor. It's not even listed with their thousands of products online, so we'll see.

Anyway, their SAP values are VERY close, almost the same, so the amount of lye used is not really an issue, but the resulting soap can be very different. Canola doesn't make a hard soap like olive, high content of canola can cause DOS, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, definitions, or advice for me? I'd like to make some soap with it today, subbing my reg. olive with it (30% of recipe). Anything I might be forgetting to consider before trying it? I'm going to figure in the calc. 20% canola, 10% olive, hoping that's probably about the blend.

Thanks!

I can buy pomace incredibly cheaply and have done. Here's what is says on the can...
"Comprising exclusively oils obtained by processing olive pomace oil and oils directly from olives"
:?: I bought it as pomace + 5% EVOO added back.
Quickens trace too much for my liking. Ok in HP though, makes good enough soap. Won't be buying any more though :roll:

jadiebugs1 said:
I'm bumping this 'cause I need some help...
I'm not sure what Olive POMACE is exactly....is it the 'bottom of the barrel' stuff, or is it olive blended with other oils? I recall hearing both.

From mr surf girl, the chef (and source of all knowledge)

When olives are pressed several times, there is pulp and pits and skin left over. The oil from this stuff is extracted using a solvent, and then the solvent is removed.

I can't help you much with the olive pomace/canola mix...

I've been using pomace for all my soaps and now I'm moving on to a virgin or extra virgin for a couple of batches, I'll let you know what I find.

I've order a mix of Pomice and Virgin from my supplier. I usually soap with EVOO, but this pricing was like $40 less than I usually spend on an equivalent amount.....I'm really hoping I like it....

The first couple of OO/CO batches I did, I used Extra Virgin OO. After that, I switched to Olive Pomace. Can't say I notice anything much different except that it is a tiny bit greenish (not noticeable in batches with less OO).

Back