Please help me decide....colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balloons

Reaction score
I have sat at my computer for two days now and still haven't made up my mind on which colorants to buy. I really don't want anything that is going to morph. I just had an ugly morphing incident the other day. I want something that will be as close to the true color as possible. Do most prefer pigments, liquid colorants or Micas? Of course I am buying TD. I am getting so frustrated just thinking about the different options...Micas, pigments, liquid colorants because I am not sure which is best. Thanks for any input.

I have sat at my computer for two days now and still haven't made up my mind on which colorants to buy. I really don't want anything that is going to morph. I just had an ugly morphing incident the other day. I want something that will be as close to the true color as possible. Do most prefer pigments, liquid colorants or Micas? Of course I am buying TD. I am getting so frustrated just thinking about the different options...Micas, pigments, liquid colorants because I am not sure which is best. Thanks for any input.

Nurture Soap Supplies mica all the way. Their vibrance line is great, and you can mix them if you need a shade or tint. Add some titanium dioxide and activated charcoal, and you are set.

I completely agree. Micas from Nurture are fantastic. I love that they show what they will look like in CP and MP. I also like the ones from Mad Oils, but if I had to pick a single supplier... it would be Nurture.

In my opinion there is just no one answer. I love and use pigments, oxides and micas. For me green vibrance for Nurture goes an ugly gold green. Green Chromium and green oxide are must haves in my repertory of colors

If we're talking natural colorants, I'm partial to clays and dried botanicals or spices. I haven't experimented with liquid colorants or neons but you should definitely try titanium dioxide, micas, oxides and activated charcoal. I also highly recommend Nurture Soap and haven't had any issues with their colorants morphing. They have a great color chart that shows what the different micas look like in both CP and M&P.

I love Nutures Micah's but I also use oxides and ultramarine a as well as clays and charcoal. They each have their place in my soaping. tKB also has some nice colorants.

Thank you all for your input. I placed a nice size order for Micas and a couple of fragrance oils from Nurture Soap! I can not wait to get my order so I can play. I have a few sample bags of different colors that I ordered from Amazon that I can use while I wait. Thanks again!

I think you made a great choice. When I started soaping I was intimidated by the choices, and started with liquid neons from nature's garden (found them very difficult to get mixed in thoroughly), tried a few oxides but very disappointed in the colors (wanted dark, rich colors and the amount of oxide needed often made a very "heavy" color).

Nurture soap supplies was just getting started when I ordered their sample packs and I've never been disappointed in them. There was a short time I was making a very high olive oil soap with eevo (very green oil!) so it made a very yellow soap... the micas had a challenge creating happy looking colors, but that was the fault of my ingredients. I have a very white soap batter now and the micas turn out exactly as expected. (except for one blue mica....but its stated very clearly on their website that it turns a denim color)

There's a lot of fun soaping in your future!

Latest posts

Back