Please help: looking for a strong sweet fragrance oil for years now

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssearcher

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just signed up yesterday and here is my first thread. I know my cause is a long shot and probably a lost one because i have so little to go on. But i won"t lose anything by just trying. I believe there are a lot of people with experience in the oil fragrance game here so who knows. I am not a soap maker or an oil seller thats trying to make money, i am simply an oil enthousiast that has made it a life goal to find one specific type of oil.

I used to have a friend of mine that used to wear fragrance oil. What he had was a truly heavenly smell. When asked about it he told me he could sell it to me if i was interested. I was and bought it from him. It is important to note that he was being very secretive about it when asked about its origin. I believe this was because he wanted me to buy it from him and not a different source.

Now about the oil itself: i know he was mixing a Egyptian musk (2/3rds) with a different kind of oil (1/3rds). This second oil is where the problem lies. It was a very sweet and strong scent. So much so that it was too much to wear by itself, hence the mixup with Egyptian musk. One thing about the scent is what i can say that it definitely had a vanilla base. I would describe it as being very, intense, sweet, sexy, and sensual. It was so strong that i remember that the rubber of my watch would smell like it even weeks after using it. The scent would be in my clothes for days. This sounds nuts i know but i am totally being honest with you guys. I always felt like it had a slight coconuty feel to it but it was so hard to really pinpoint what it exactly smell like. It was like ´BOOM´, it was there, you could smell it from a distance even. Perfect for the nightlife scene and perfect in combo with a solid Egyptian musk. It smelled very sweet out of the the bottle.

Unfortunately i lost contact with my friend for years and there is no way i can reach him. I remember the last time i saw him and asked about the oil he was mixing with the Egyptian musk and he replied with: ´Oh, you mean the amber?´. Needless to say i have tried over a million of ambers since that day (figuratively speaking off course) but none of them came even close. I know this sound stupid but this situation is driving me nuts. Its almost like an obsession. I have wasted hundreds of dollars in all these years trying to find it without results. I went to so many oil stores in and around NYC but nothing. What can i do? does anybody here have any clue what im talking about? any suggestions? is there any hope left for me? or should i just give up...

Yours sincerely,
an obsessed fragrance oil enthousiast.

Last edited:
So you are looking for a sweet, strong amber with a little 'coconuty' scent. Well, I can tell you it's not from bramble berry. I do have their amber and it has none of the above characteristics.

So you are looking for a sweet, strong amber with a little 'coconuty' scent. Well, I can tell you it's not from bramble berry. I do have their amber and it has none of the above characteristics.

Odd you say that, I think brambleberry amber is very strong and sweet, stuff lasts forever in soap. Its not coconuty but I don't think any amber will be.

@endlesssearcher have you found the egyptian musk that he used? Its possible you won't ever find the right amber if you don't have the same musk to blend it with

Last edited:
Sounds like a culture mix - meaning that he could have gotten the recipe passed down through the ages. What culture was he - find that out and then go stalk facebook groups or chat forums in that particular culture and ask them.
If he was Egyptian or another culture - go find them and ask them - historians know a lot as well.
Keeping in mind that different smells react to different people - some perfume may smell great on one person and rubbish on another.
Also our olfactory perception of different scents vary from person to person - so what you thought was a sweet musky smell could not be that at all - it was just your nose telling your brain that it was.
Or it could have been a completely average mix that just smelt astounding because of his body chemicals.

Odd you say that, I think brambleberry amber is very strong and sweet, stuff lasts forever in soap. Its not coconuty but I don't think any amber will be.

@endlesssearcher have you found the egyptian musk that he used? Its possible you won't ever find the right amber if you don't have the same musk to blend it with

Yes, i did find an egyptian musk that is either extremely close or is the one that used. Its just the sweet stuff that is the problem.

Sounds like a culture mix - meaning that he could have gotten the recipe passed down through the ages. What culture was he - find that out and then go stalk facebook groups or chat forums in that particular culture and ask them.
If he was Egyptian or another culture - go find them and ask them - historians know a lot as well.
Keeping in mind that different smells react to different people - some perfume may smell great on one person and rubbish on another.
Also our olfactory perception of different scents vary from person to person - so what you thought was a sweet musky smell could not be that at all - it was just your nose telling your brain that it was.
Or it could have been a completely average mix that just smelt astounding because of his body chemicals.

He is actually American. And good point about the body chemical thing. I did however buy it from him for a brief period of time so i tested it on myself aswell. I remember there were times when he sold it to me seperately to mix, that how i know about the combo.

Do you still have any of the oil? I'd contact some fragrance sellers, ask them if you can send them a "sniffie" (a piece of paper towel or coffee filter sealed in a tiny ziploc) and ask them to send you sniffies of their closest matches.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Nurture Soaps, Lebermuth, Sweet Cakes, Brambleberry, Soapalooza, and Save on Scents.

You may also want to put out a request for members to mail you sniffies. I don't have the best nose for identifying things but I'd be willing to send you sniffies of anything I have that has "Egyptian Musk" or "Amber" in the title or description.

Do you still have any of the oil? I'd contact some fragrance sellers, ask them if you can send them a "sniffie" (a piece of paper towel or coffee filter sealed in a tiny ziploc) and ask them to send you sniffies of their closest matches.

There are also places that will dupe a scent for you if you send them a sample. I was just looking at one other day....I got the company name from this Forum...it was based in the U.S....that doesn't give you much to go on, does it? :p

Unfortunately i have no sample of the oil left that i can find in my appertment.

UPDATE: OK, ive been to the most random oil seller and started describing the scent. Before finishing with my description however he immediately said, ' oh thats sounds like that Egyptian amber attar that people import from the uk'. This is before i even said it was an amber scent i was looking for. He even gave some descripton of the scent aswell and it really sounded like that was it. I know i could be fooling myself again, but i kind of have a good felling about this. He said it was vanilla esque, very strong, sweet and sexy and that it was generally used in blends because it was so strong. This has to be it man, it feels like a breakthrough.

He said that he had seen it in in these bottles (he used a picture on goole images on the spot):

upload_2019-1-23_11-31-50.png

But instead of 'Black Stone' , it should read ' Egyptian Amber' . Does anyone know what manufacturer makes these attar oils? It is suppose to be a UK product.

Thanks in advance

When I was growing up I thought i WAS nancy drew.
Jeez - I remember those books so very well with great affection.
Wasnt there another one as well
Nancy Drew
Hardy Boys
????????? famous five???

Nancy and the Boys both had there own series of books. I read all the Boys books. Too bad kids bon’t read anymore. It was such a pleasure.

I think we can post OT since the mystery is solved.

Latest posts

Back