Please Help! Hot Process mess!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinamy

Reaction score
What a mess! I used the lye calc and had my oils all melted in the crockpot, dissolved the lye and water and added it to the crockpot. I stirred then used the stick blender to get a nice trace. Put the lid on and not 5 minutes later the whole thing was coming out over the top! I think the lye was too hot when I added it to the oils. Anyway, I got it all cleaned up but can I salvage the mess in the crockpot?

Not too much, I scooped most of it back in, with gloves on of course.
I have it in the crockpot still, on warm.

it's been 15 minutes plus since your first post and you may have done this already but killing the heat for a little while and letting it get back to the normal zone would be a good idea.

I'd cook it the rest of the way and check for zaps. I think you'll be fine.

I agree, you should be fine.

And boyago, either your space time comment was right, or you've become the amazing Kreskin. Answering the thread, before the OP had a chance to ask the question is just impressive beyond belief in my book. :)

I agree, you should be fine.

And boyago, either your space time comment was right, or you've become the amazing Kreskin. Answering the thread, before the OP had a chance to ask the question is just impressive beyond belief in my book. :)

I'm also cramming in my philosophy assignments as it's final week of the term so this is giving me an interesting perspective in as it relates to ontology and metaphysics. Perhaps Hume was right about cause and effect actually being independent.

I'm also cramming in my philosophy assignments as it's final week of the term so this is giving me an interesting perspective in as it relates to ontology and metaphysics. Perhaps Hume was right about cause and effect actually being independent.

Good luck on the exams. I loved philosophy, Hume's entire causation idea's are interesting.

Edit: LOL, and here we go again. I'm thinking this might just be a flashback from the early 70s.

Last edited:
I had this exact same problem a couple of batches ago - had it all too hot and it made a break for freedom.

I tend to melt the oils in another normal saucepan and then put it in to the slow cooker with cooled lye. Takes less time to melt the oils that way

I love your description of soap making a "break for freedom." I had to giggle. :)

I put my oils in the slow cooker and put it in the microwave in 30 second bursts. It's usually all melted within 1 min and 30 sec. However, this only works if your slow cooker crock fits in the microwave.

Latest posts

Back