Please help, having a problem with mold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igbabygirl

Reaction score
I have found this wonderful recipe for whipped body butter and I have followed it to a T. It is perfect in every way except that several weeks later, I can open a jar and will find mold growing. I can't figure out what is going on. I added the GermabenII so I shouldn't have mold, right? Or is this only supposed to last a couple of weeks???? Can anyone help me with this, please. Here is the recipe.

100 grams Shea Butter, (may substitute with mango, kokum, or sal butter).
100 grams cocoa butter
160 grams coconut oil
20 grams stearic acid
60 grams emulsifying wax
620 grams distilled water
40 grams liquid glycerin
7 grams germaben II
10 - 15 grams of your favorite fragrance Oil

I add the germabenII after I have whipped everything and it has started to thicken per the instructions. I would hate to have to ditch this recipe as those who have tried it love it but I gotta fix this mold problem. :cry:

With Germaben II you can add up to 1%.
Also, was your body butter under 140 degrees?

Can I ask where you buy your Germaben II? I was just looking at WSP's directions when using theirs and it says "Add to the water in the formula prior to emulsification."

Others say to add it during the emulsification process, just before fo.

Genny said:
With Germaben II you can add up to 1%.
Also, was your body butter under 140 degrees?

Can I ask where you buy your Germaben II? I was just looking at WSP's directions when using theirs and it says "Add to the water in the formula prior to emulsification."

Others say to add it during the emulsification process, just before fo.

I purchased the germaben II from MMS. and yes it was under 140 degrees. I apparently didn't know that it had to be above a certain temp (someone else just told me) I added mine before the FO. thank you.

Did you clean your equipment with a bleach solution? Heat your water to 170 for 20 minutes? Let your lotion cool completely before putting the lid on? Use NEW packaging? Use refined shea?

carebear said:
Did you clean your equipment with a bleach solution? Heat your water to 170 for 20 minutes? Let your lotion cool completely before putting the lid on? Use NEW packaging? Use refined shea?

I used new containers, did clean my equipment, refined shea. The only thing I didn't do is het my water to 170 for 20 minutes.

Back