Please critique my first sugar scrub!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pepperi27 said:
I have another question now. If you package the scrubs in bottles rather than jars would you still need to add preservative? I just ask because there wouldn't be any exposure to water? Then again I guess better safe than sorry right?

I would just like to clarify that a preservative is needed because it protects
against mold, yeast and bacteria that can grow in any formula that
contains water.

These microbes do not have to be introduced by the
consumer of the product. They exist in the air, on counter tops, on your skin,
in the mixing bowl. Unless your production is 100% sterile, there will be
organisms introduced into the product. Without preservatives, they may
find the optimal conditions to grow and cause problems.

You don't want your customers (or friends, for that matter) to show you a
jar of your scrub with black spots in it!

carebear said:
Here ya go - my favorite scrub recipe.

Sugar 61.7%
Shea Butter 11.4%
Stearic Acid 5.4%
Peach or Apricot Kernel Oil 8.0%
Castor Oil 5.1%
Jojoba Oil 5.1%
E-Wax (emulsifying wax) 1.4%
Preservative 0.6%
Cetyl Alcohol 0.6%
FO 0.6%

The e-wax and cetyl alcohol not only help with the consistency of the stuff, but they also help it rinse off you leaving a lotiony feel on your skin.

And a preservative is MANDATORY since water will get into the container when you use it, and sugar + water = food fest for microbes

Edited to Add: the amount of preservative will vary with your selection!!! Don't depend on 0.6% as the right amount for yours!!

Ok, it's my turn to start delving into sugar scrubs. I'm just about cross-eyed right now because I've read through almost every thread with the world "scrub" in the Bath & Body Forum.

I made my first basic scrub one last night and loved how it felt. But I know my future/potential customers aren't going to go for the greasy feel so I'm going to look into getting some of these ingredients carebear listed so that I hopefully and make a better scrub than my first attempt.

So I have 2 questions!

1) Is Cetyl Alcohol different than Cetearyl Alcohol? Or the same? I need to place an order for more FO's from BB and they have Cetearyl Alchohol.

Also, if I were to skip the Peach Kernal or Apricot Kernal oil for now, would I be ok to just use something else like OO or RBO? Or would I really notice that big of a difference?

Thanks!
zeo

They are different, but I don't know in what way.

You CAN sub out those oils, but RBO and olive are heavier than the AKO so you may not like the result if you are going for less oily. I'm sure there are other options but I haven't yet had my coffee... maybe split the difference between rob or olive and coconut?

Ashley, I look back on the some of the first soaps that I made and at the time I felt so clever and thought they were so fantastic....I get a giggle out of that.
But it's good because it makes me realise how much I am learning!

I am about to make my first sugar scrub and I really like the idea of emulsifying scrubs.

I have ordered e-wax and cetyl alcohol. I am alos going to put an order in for Polysorbate-80.

Do you have to use e-wax and cetyl alcohol in the same formula ? What does one do which the other doesn't ?

Has anyone tried Polysorbate-80 ?

i used only brown sugar, almond oil and vit e, was very good, didnt get hard.

Back