Plain simple soap - with picture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judymoody

Reaction score
I wanted to make an unscented soap for the people in my life with sensitive skin. I've done a basic Castille and after doing some reading, I decided to try a Bastille with oatmeal and honey. 75% OO, 25% Babassu. I added the honey after the lye water had cooled to room temperature and it didn't caramelize. Added buttermilk powder to the oils and powdered oatmeal at light trace. Big surprise, it looks and has a faint scent of -- oatmeal! It looks very simple, but I like it.

Based on the advice of all of you lovely people on the forum I covered my mold but did not insulate and checked every half hour for overheating. It never did.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5858/bastille.jpg

Yep, that was olive oil, not coconut oil. That will teach me to post before I've eaten breakfast. Thanks for the correction!

judymoody said:
I wanted to make an unscented soap for the people in my life with sensitive skin. I've done a basic Castille and after doing some reading, I decided to try a Bastille with oatmeal and honey. 75% OO, 25% Babassu. I added the honey after the lye water had cooled to room temperature and it didn't caramelize. Added buttermilk powder to the oils and powdered oatmeal at light trace. Big surprise, it looks and has a faint scent of -- oatmeal! It looks very simple, but I like it.

Based on the advice of all of you lovely people on the forum I covered my mold but did not insulate and checked every half hour for overheating. It never did.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5858/bastille.jpg

What is Babassu???
Smellykat

It comes from a Brazilian palm tree. It is a saturated oil that is similar to PKO and CO, but a bit more expensive. You can get it from Columbus Foods/Soaper's Choice. In my initial burst of enthusiasm when I discovered soaping, I ordered about 100 lbs of assorted oils from there, and this was one of them.

I'm not experienced enough yet to tell what qualities it might impart to the soap that would be substantially different from CO or PKO. I was almost out of CO, so I gave it a try.

Back