My first soap in about 8 yrs...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
Hi dear folks,

Attached is the Oatmeal, Honey and GM Bastile Soap I just finished a short while ago... not the best looking as I am not up on texturing yet, but I tried a very little texture, albeit not the best. I realize I am stubborn and hopefully I have learned my lesson this time, haha.. I knew that honey and milk are heaters, and I was going to put the soap in a milk carton.. I just received my first log mold, and was itching to used it, but knew it was risky because I wanted to prevent gel. Didn't have room in the fridge or freezer to put in there. Well, my stubborn self decided to do it anyway. The issue was this: I used the half milk half water method and didn't wait for the lye solution to come down in temp. I used ice water to mix the lye and the temp only goes to 150, and usually when I make a bastile, I pour in the hot lye. But, since I had milk and honey in there, I should have waited for it to come down. I didn't heat the oils, they were at room temp, so I though, heck, maybe it will be ok. Also, I added the honey, oat flour and canned gm, and had initally stick blended it before adding lye solution. Well, I guess I waiting too long and I think the milk and oats, etc, sunk to bottom. I usually add my milk and honey at trace, usually use powdered gm and honey and a little water as a slurry..I used canned gm this time. Well, after adding the lye, I started blending and the an orange blob formed immediately at the bottom and turned very thick. Shoot... I stick blended the heck out of it and kept blending, it thickened so much I was getting nervous, then it finally thinned out and went back to very thin.. I kept blending and it never thickened back up, albeit a bit was sticking to the blender. I thought, well, it's probably okay, let me pour it. Still seems ok and it held a slight texture, so hopefully all is well. Next time. SOAP LOW TEMP!!!!!!!!! This is plain, no scented added. I do like the slightly sweet smell of a milk and honey soap, though. I will follow up with a pic of the cut soon. Cheers and Happy Friday!

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back