pine tar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthsoap

Reaction score
Hi All,getting ready to make some pine tar soap,will be using lard,coconut oil(76 degree)olive oil,I usually add castor oil in my "normal" soap,at 4% is this okay to use in pine tar soap?Many Thanks

you know this will get thick fast right? don't even think of using the stick blender once the pine tar has been added!
good luck. My PT soap came out alright though it was soft for a while.. after cure it hardened up nicely
what % pine tar are you going to use?

Castor can accelerate trace, so some folks don't use it in pine tar soap. YMMV -- just be aware this might be an issue. My tips -- soap at room temperature, have your mold 100% ready to go, choose a non-accelerating scent (some say lavender EO slows trace), thoroughly mix your scent and pine tar into your oils before adding the lye, hand stir only (no stick blender) after adding the lye ... oh -- and have fun!

Thanks for the info,plan on 12-15% on the pine tar,20% seems like a lot,but any tips would be great,also do not plan on adding any scent,the ole smokey scent of pine tar should be enough.Regards

Last edited:
I did thermal transfer method to melt my oils, added the pine tar last, after it at on the stove to make it runny. I had 3 or 4 minutes tonic before I reached a thick trace.

I normally do 15 percent, but upped it to 20% and got that nice dark rosin look.

Thanks,heard that 20% to be the best for skin condition control,so I will try it at 20%,am also using lard,olive oil and coconut oil,so that should make it manageable,ran it thru a soap calc,and the numbers look good.Also plan on 5% superfat.Regards

Last edited:
Sorry for my odd language the autocorret on my cell phone likes to play tricks.

I added the lye BEFORE I added the pine tar.

Well got it made and in the mold,trace time around 2 minutes,tomorrow will tell how everything went.8)

Here are some pics of the finished product.Now the wait begins:cool:

IMG_0944 (Small).jpg

IMG_0945 (Small).jpg

IMG_0946 (Small).jpg

IMG_0947 (Small).jpg

Latest posts

Back