Pic of my 1st batch of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rubyslippers said:
pickles said:
...I was told Walmart had the coconut oil, but I looked in the pharmacy and in the ethnic food aisle and found none.Maybe CVS will have it.

I've found coconut oil right beside Crisco shortening at my local Walmart and if you want something inexpensive go for lard which can also be purchased at Walmart in gallon buckets.

Yeah same here. It's with all the other cooking oils in the baking aisle. They keep it on the top shelf at my Wally-mart.

I recently made a batch with a portion of it as Wal-Mart Great Value Shortening (not the all veggie one. this one has tallow). I worked great. No odor that I can tell. SoapCal has it on it's list of oils so it was very easy to work it into my recipe. Provided it doesn't produce DOS during the cure, I'll be using it again.

Congrats on your originality! I know lots of soapers that make soap for their own personal use out of all kinds of non-traditional oils! So, good for you! I can't see your pic though :(

Oops, sorry about the picture. This should work.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/462 ... 0f6c_o.jpg

My mom and a friend of hers made a huge batch of soap when I was a kid. They used bacon grease, and all manner of meat fats they saved up. That soap stayed good for at least a couple of years. We used it for bathing (it was hard as a rock and didn't lather much) and for getting stains out of laundry. BUT I doubt she used any chicken fat or canola oil.

This batch is about 4 oz of chicken fat, 4 oz hamburger grease, 8 oz of canola and 8 oz of olive. I should have just left the chicken fat out I suppose.

PS My daughter said to make sure and tell y'all that the Kleenex box was her idea :)

I can see it now! I think it looks great! You won't have any problems witht he basil for laundry soap I don't think. I had some catnip soap gone awry that I used for laundry soap - the catnip rinsed clean with no problems. I think it's great you soap with your daughter! I soap with mine, but she's not much help, she's only 4! But, I am letting her make felted soap and she's loving it! As long as you two are having fun with your projects, I say "rules be damned!"

pickles said:
Oops, sorry about the picture. This should work.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/462 ... 0f6c_o.jpg

My mom and a friend of hers made a huge batch of soap when I was a kid. They used bacon grease, and all manner of meat fats they saved up. That soap stayed good for at least a couple of years. We used it for bathing (it was hard as a rock and didn't lather much) and for getting stains out of laundry. BUT I doubt she used any chicken fat or canola oil.

This batch is about 4 oz of chicken fat, 4 oz hamburger grease, 8 oz of canola and 8 oz of olive. I should have just left the chicken fat out I suppose.

PS My daughter said to make sure and tell y'all that the Kleenex box was her idea :)
Your soap looks beautiful! I don't see why you should have left out the chicken fat... something I'm missing? Cooking fats/grease were commonly used for soap making in the "old days." ;)
ETA: Oh, and that basil just makes everything look fabulous :)

You could do just a plain old olive oil bar - it doesn't sound exciting but a lot of people love it, it's a very mild soap.

it has to be a superwalmart for the co, health stores have palm(in the shortening row) and co, but kinda spendy. soapers choice has gallons of everything and not too exp.

Well I think your chickenburger soap looks amazing! Looks better than some of the ones I've made with the "normal" oils, I would totally try it out :) Great job on your first batch!

Looks great!...and could be fun to talk about your experiences using it. I doubt if it will lather much, but my new top-loader washing machine prefers non-lathering soap, else bubbles foam up on the door.

I think you have been very creative making this. Thanks for sharing!

southernheartsoaps said:
Sometimes we can develop a type of "snobbery" even in soapmaking... I think it's so cool and creative of you to "think outside the box" a bit (the kleenex box at that!) That's the pioneer spirit at its finest in action there!!! Use what you have! I applaud you!

Agreed and well put. :lol:

I think to get the process of soapmaking down...use what you have. You'll learn how different ingredients do this and that.

It is not snobbery to point out a soap will probably go rancid when it contains uncleaned used oils in combination with a high % of canola oil. It's common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back