Pic of my 1st batch of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good, but i wouldnt want to use it with those oils, sorry.

honor435 said:
looks good, but i wouldnt want to use it with those oils, sorry.

i am a vegetarian so I wouldn't want to use it either..

No-one in my family is a vegetarian so we won't have any problem using it. I'm not making soap to try and sell it for heaven's sake.

I can just see me trying to sell hamburger grease and chicken fat soap. Sounds like a skit for SNL Maybe I could market it through Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds :)

pickles said:
No-one in my family is a vegetarian so we won't have any problem using it. I'm not making soap to try and sell it for heaven's sake.

I can just see me trying to sell hamburger grease and chicken fat soap. Sounds like a skit for SNL Maybe I could market it through Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds :)
:lol:

I do eat meat and there's no way in hell I'd use soap made with hamburger grease. I think it's a recipe for DOS.

I'll post pics after it goes rancid as an example of what not to use in soap :)

It looks great! And good for you using what you have!!! Especially if you are new to soap-making. You don't necessarily want to spend a ton of moolah on oils if you aren't sure what you are doing. I used cheap oils when I first started so that I wouldn't waste money. Even if you are an old pro at soap making, it's cool to experiment with stuff. I say bravo for stepping outside of the same old, same old!!!

Pickles, you strike me as having a great attitude! I just read some of your other posts and your joi de vivre is contagious. Welcome to the wonderful world of soap-making. I hope you find it fulfilling and fun. It is a great creative outlet and the possibilities are endless (as you have already found).

PS...I LOVE PICKLES!!!! My 1 yo and I ate pickles for a snack yesterday and all morning he was asking me for more pickles. LOL I guess there is some truth to the taste buds developing in the womb.

Kudos to you Pickles for being so resourceful, right down to the mold. Your soap looks great!

lol, I gotta be honest and say I wouldn't use it either, but I really do like your positive attitude and hope you enjoy your soap very much!

I would wait at least 4 weeks before using it, that way it has a good chance to evaporate that extra water out and get nice and mild.

let me know how the basil treats you whenever you start using it, sometimes dry leaves can tend to scratch (tea leaves at least) so let us know about that too!

pickles said:

I'm all for recycling! But it sounds more like it'll be rancid before it's cured. But let us know how it works out.

You might be better off using those oils, if you really want to, with KOH to make a liquid soap with a 0% superfat that you can use for cleaning.

Thank you guys so much for all the encouragement and advice. I very much appreciate it.

My daughter added the Basil because she said "Basil goes good with chicken." LOL She just crushed it between her palms the way you do when cooking with it.

I purified the grease really well. I didn't have what I needed at the time and was impatient to get started. Kinda wish we hadn't added the basil now, because I don't know how that would do in a laundry soap.

I'll post pix of it after it's cured and report back on it's usability or un-usability, aroma, lather, etc... The good, the bad and the ugly :)

I was told I needed specific ingredients to develop my own color film at home. I figured out a way around buying all those expensive chemicals. I use a tsp of hair dye to 12 oz of water and diluted betadine as a C-41 bleach. They tell me it's not supposed to work, chemists on forums say they don't know how it's working, but it does. It's not perfect, but it's satisfying because I figured out how to substitute for things I couldn't afford.

I'm so used to "making do". I don't call it "going without" because I can almost always figure out a substitution. I admit I take a certain pride in that. It's the one thing I'm pretty good at.

I was told Walmart had the coconut oil, but I looked in the pharmacy and in the ethnic food aisle and found none.Maybe CVS will have it.

All I have right now is a huge jug of canola and 16 oz of olive oil. What easily available, affordable oil should I be looking for to mix with these? I'd like a fairly hard bar.

Thanks guys!

Sometimes we can develop a type of "snobbery" even in soapmaking... I think it's so cool and creative of you to "think outside the box" a bit (the kleenex box at that!) That's the pioneer spirit at its finest in action there!!! Use what you have! I applaud you!

I don't see anything wrong using left over fats from cooking. It's how women have been making soap for their homes for ages. As long as you rendered it through boiling you probably got yourself a great bar of soap. Let it cure for 4-6weeks and let us know how it feels. If you have a deep fryer you can also use the used vegetable oil from that. You just have to filter it real well.

As for your question as to what inexpensive oils you can also use from the grocery - 100% soybean vegetable oil, Crisco, lard, LouAnn coconut oil. Coconut Oil makes a great lather but can be a little drying. I don't use more than 15% in my recipes. Personally I love soaping with Crisco. It's inexpensive and makes a great bar of soap.

pickles said:
...I was told Walmart had the coconut oil, but I looked in the pharmacy and in the ethnic food aisle and found none.Maybe CVS will have it.

I've found coconut oil right beside Crisco shortening at my local Walmart and if you want something inexpensive go for lard which can also be purchased at Walmart in gallon buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back