Peppermint CP soap, and color swirling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundownWaterfowl

Reaction score
I want to make some peppermint CP soap. To make it, I can use essential oil, right? I think that would be a nice soap for christmas gifts.

Also, how do you swirl the color?

I too would like to make a mint soap in time for the holidays :twisted:

I will be using a Spearmint and Eucalyptus FO and some Peppermint EO...I want the soap to have a tingle! (which I think can only be achieved with the EO)

I'm going for a basic recipe that I received from Healinya (ta, hun!) and want to make mint green swirls...or, I am still not giving up on my idea of mixing the FO in the cp and incorporating chunks of green mp that have been infused with the peppermint EO.

If possible, I can't wait to see your pics!

This friday I will be heading to the store to get somemore supplies. I want to get some lard, and some palm oil to make the bars harder. I also need to get the peppermint EO and soap colorant. I also was reading that I could brew some peppermint tea the day before, and use that instead of water. I will also add some dried peppermint leaves to the batch.

I made a batch once with just a few oz. of natural cocoa butter (smelled like chocolate), peppermint eo, peppermint leaves and colored with cocoa powder. If you closed your eyes, you would have thought you were smelling a peppermint pattie. Don't forget tho, the peppermint leaves turn brownish (kinda bleed a very small amount to the white soap around it.)

Healinya said:
I made a batch once with just a few oz. of natural cocoa butter (smelled like chocolate), peppermint eo, peppermint leaves and colored with cocoa powder. If you closed your eyes, you would have thought you were smelling a peppermint pattie. Don't forget tho, the peppermint leaves turn brownish (kinda bleed a very small amount to the white soap around it.)

Does it look horrible when it turns brown? I will probably make a batch with and without.

be cautious with peppermint EO. you say you want tingle, but remember that the "tingle" might not be very pleasant when used in more sensitive areas.

really might want to re-think that.

carebear said:
be cautious with peppermint EO. you say you want tingle, but remember that the "tingle" might not be very pleasant when used in more sensitive areas.

really might want to re-think that.

LOL, yeah, I forgot about that... i definately avoided at least one area with it :D

And, no.. it didn't look bad.. but it would have if I added too much.

Oh yes, the first time I made bath salt I did peppermint because I had a stuffy nose..
I remembered that bath for a week! Eeek.

This is what my peppermint/spearmint bars looked like. I used peppermint EO, at .33 oz. PPO, and added spearmint FO at .5 oz. PPO. Peppermint dried leaves throughout. It is a "In The Pot" swirl.

DSCF3449.jpg

There are two ways to swirl your colors; in the pot and in the mold. In either case you separate out your swirling soap batter (for a 4.5 pound batch I usually use a ladle and a half). Color it ... then if you're going to swirl in the pot, you pour the colored soap from various heights above the pot. After you're done doing that, stir once around the pot. If you want to swirl in the mold you'd still separate out .. then you'd pour your uncolored soap into the mold and then again, pour at various heights .. then I take a skewer and do like you'd do with a marbled cake. You'll find that it's not so intimidating once you try it a few times.

I just got done with a batch of rosemary mint from Flickers (awesome fragrance .. LOVE it) and sprinkled some dried peppermint leaves on top. Very nice fragrance.

That nice looking soap Soapmaker Man.

I think im going to do red coloring, if I can find some.

How do you cut your soaps? I just use a regular large kitchen knife.

Based on some research that I've done (I've asked my friends ad nauseam what they enjoy about the boutique soaps they purchase) I've found that all those who buy mint soaps, buy primarily for the tingle and secondarily for the scent. This is my opinion as well...god knows I wouldn't like to relive that time where I had a shower after giving a massage with Bengay (EEEP! God that wasn't a tingle...that was a BURN, lol) but I still think I will be ok with adding the EO, obviously in a cautious amount.

SoapMakerMan...the soaps are divine looking!:twisted:

I plan on cutting my soaps with a pastry scraper...I think I will be ok with this.

Here's a pic of my Peppermint Cream soap. I actually used spearmint EO & non-discoloring vanilla FO instead of peppermint. I used titanium dioxide for the white portion, then did an in-the-pot swirl with cherry red lab color.

Unfortunately, it's not selling!

Well, they didnt have any palm oils, or Peppermint EO. So I got a EO blend of Chamomile and Peppermint. it smells yummy.

SundownWaterfowl said:
Well, they didnt have any palm oils, or Peppermint EO. So I got a EO blend of Chamomile and Peppermint. it smells yummy.

MMMMMM! That sounds yummy!

Back