paraffin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgengb

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum but I have already tried a few soap recipes.
I am using the spreadsheet by Chris Mathes (modified by kathleen Koch) and I plan to try to use candlewax (20% stearin + 80% paraffin), but I can't find any values for paraffin in the spreadsheet/tables, just for stearin. Does anyone know where I can find the paraffin values?
Kind regards -- Jørgen (Trondheim, Norway)

paraffin doesn't saponify - you cannot make soap from that much paraffin, though you could add a little to soap to leave a film if you wish.

Hazel said:
Hi Jørgen,

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm confused. Are you making soaps or candles?

Thank you!
Soap, of course ;-)

I was using mainly olive oil and I wanted to add some coconut fat in order to make the soap harder, but since I couldn't find any coconut fat but had some old candles available...

carebear said:
paraffin doesn't saponify - you cannot make soap from that much paraffin, though you could add a little to soap to leave a film if you wish.

Thank you, I eventually understood why -- no hydroxyl groups in paraffin.

You mentioned adding a little paraffin to soap to leave a film.
What is the advantage of leaving a waxy film?

jorgengb said:
Hazel said:
Hi Jørgen,

Welcome to the forum! :D

I'm confused. Are you making soaps or candles?

Thank you!
Soap, of course ;-)

I was using mainly olive oil and I wanted to add some coconut fat in order to make the soap harder, but since I couldn't find any coconut fat but had some old candles available...

The proportion was actually
2000 g olive oil
260 g candlewax (likely to be 80% paraffin, 20% stearin)

jorgengb said:
carebear said:

Thank you, I eventually understood why -- no hydroxyl groups in paraffin.

You mentioned adding a little paraffin to soap to leave a film.
What is the advantage of leaving a waxy film?

I didn't mention it. carebear did and she'll have to answer that question. I've never heard of using paraffin in soap making.

Wow this is a new one for me too...

So it is to harden soap?

Would it be like adding beeswax to soap as some soapers do in order to lend an extra bit of hardness and longevity?

IrishLass :)

seems to me it could be drain-clogging (speaking from candle experience) and leave a waxy residue on your skin. i certainly don't think i'd try it, though would love to hear reasons why it would be beneficial.

IrishLass said:
Would it be like adding beeswax to soap as some soapers do in order to lend an extra bit of hardness and longevity?

IrishLass :)

No, it won't. Beeswax does saponify, paraffin doesn't.

«Beeswax is a tough wax formed from a mixture of several compounds.

An approximate chemical formula for beeswax is C15H31COOC30H61.[3] Its main components are palmitate, palmitoleate, hydroxypalmitate[4] and oleate esters of long-chain (30-32 carbons) aliphatic alcohols, with the ratio of triacontanyl palmitate CH3(CH2)29O-CO-(CH2)14CH3 to cerotic acid[5] CH3(CH2)24COOH, the two principal components, being 6:1.»
[source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax]

«The solid forms of paraffin, called paraffin wax, are from the heaviest molecules from C20H42 to C40H82»
[source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin]

Since paraffin has no hydroxyl groups, it cannot possibly saponify.

paillo said:
ok, so i'm still curious. what are the benefits to adding paraffin to cp soap?

Good question. I don't know the answer, and I'm also curious. Is there any benefit at all? :?: :?: :?:
As mentioned above, in my case the addition of paraffin was accidental. When I realised that paraffin does not saponify, I didn't proceed with that batch. So, I really can't tell what the result would have been.

Interesting thought on paraffin but better off not to use it. I would melt the old candles down add some FO and make tarts with it, if you want to get rid of them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back