Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK_Homesteaders

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding Palm Oil. I live in Alaska, so if I order online the shipping costs will be awful. The grocery store in town said they can order whatever I want IF I can tell them a brand name. I have no idea. Can some of you please tell me what brand name you use?

Thank you,

Jenny

Hi! Try Spectrum. It is an organic vegetable shortening that is just palm oil. It is usually in the organic/health food area. Good luck!

Palm is not one of my usual soaping oils (I like lard better), but I do use it on occasion. I buy the Spectrum Brand Palm that SimplyE mentioned (above). I get it at my local health food store in 1.5 lb tubs. The Whole Foods grocery chain also sells it, as well as the healthfood section of certain major grocery chains.

IrishLass :)

Jenny - just thinking out loud here - but since we are only a little bit south of you have you looked into Voyageur Soap in Vancouver? I find them to be amazing service, great pricing and for their internet customers you get 5% of your order back towards your shipping costs which makes them more reasonable too.

Just a thought - their site is http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/store/shop.asp - it might be worth checking out since you're almost a neighbour and everything....

Happy Soaping
Lindy

AK_Homesteaders said:
I'm having trouble finding Palm Oil. I live in Alaska, so if I order online the shipping costs will be awful. The grocery store in town said they can order whatever I want IF I can tell them a brand name. I have no idea. Can some of you please tell me what brand name you use?

Thank you,

Jenny

did you check out www.oilsbynature.com or www.soaperschoice.com? i dont know what their shipping is to Alaska. I never found palm in any store.

Re: palm oil and veg. shortening

renaissancemom said:
can you use veg. shortening interchangeably with palm oil?

Regular Veg. shortening usually contains a variety of oils and still needs to be put through a soap calculator. Note the ingredients in the shortening. check out www.soapcalc.com

The Spectrum brand is a "shortening" but its ingredient list is only Palm oil whereas Crisco, for instance, has a lot of soybean oil. HTH

Thank you all for the links. The prices are so much cheaper than I can buy palm oil locally. I'm waiting to hear back from them on shipping to Alaska.

Thank you very much,

Jenny

Back