palm oil organic vs RBD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
I don't use palm oil much and just finally finished my 7 lb bottle and got RBD this time to try.
Is there a difference in the end result with the hardness of the soap? I decided to try RBD and at room temp its the consistence of a slightly loose lard but def. not as this as the organic I had before that I could shake up. This has to be scooped out. As far as I know the SAP values are the same so I'll put in soapcal as regular palm oil.. but will the bar be a bit firmer since it's so solid in it's natural state?

As far as I know, palm is supposed to contribute to the hardness of a bar so if they are the same SAP then it just might end up being the same. Is it cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Palm oil is hard the cooler the room temp the harder the palm. I've never had organic palm that was liquid at room temp. As far as your soap is concerned its considered reg. palm oil on soap calculators.

Huh - mine in the bottle was def shakeable and I poured it out. All my oils are stored in my bedroom suite at 76-78. And from what people have said you are supposed to shake it before use so wouldn't it be more liquid?
This kind is homogenized so I don't have to stir which is good since its solid and comes in plastic wrap.
Its been in the house for 24 hours and still solid like crisco.. Just a tad softer.

Maybe my organic one was not right and this one is? Idk. Just know I could pour it easily and had to shake it to mix the separation that occurred.

thanks for the help.. at least they are the same for soaping. Would be a plus to end up with firmer bars with my same recipes with this one though. :)

I have no idea what you were using before. Can say where you got it from? If they have a web site I would love to check it our. TYIA

It's not because one is organic and one is not.

It's because of the hydrogenation.

The RBD you said is hydrogenated - so yes, it would remain solid and uniform, much like Crisco in appearance and texture.

The bottle was probably unhydrogenated oil, which does require gentle heat and shaking or stirring in order to keep the stearic acid from settling on the bottom. In warm temperatures it can be semi-liquid.

Ahh, we'll then your soaps will be firmer using your new (and in my opinion regular) palm oil. Hydrogenated oils have a different fatty acid profile with more steric. I think you will be happier now with your soaps.

Ahh, we'll then your soaps will be firmer using your new (and in my opinion regular) palm oil. Hydrogenated oils have a different fatty acid profile with more steric. I think you will be happier now with your soaps.

Really? On soapcalc you can just use palm oil entry but have a harder bar (grant it if you don't have too many soft oils)?

So what most likely use on here is which? Guess it really doesn't matter if they end up the same but was surprised how thick this one was and figured I'd end up with a firmer bar quicker. Hoping it might be the case. Think I might have to break my rule for this weekend and soap tonight with a previous recipe. After all... I really need to test this out. Lol

Really? On soapcalc you can just use palm oil entry but have a harder bar (grant it if you don't have too many soft oils)?

??? Well you have to actually USE palm oil. If she was using a palm oil that was not hydrogenated (which I have never seen) and now she is using the regular palm oil that most soapers use yes her soap should be harder than her batches using the other kind. (And less prone, at least a little, to dos).

It was just the sustainable palm oil from soapers and then the homogenized kind. Since they do differentiate I assume the latter is not homogenized.

And it's funny cause as I mentioned earlier.. I know I've seen people mentioning having to stir the palm oil so I always thought the homog. one was the rarer one. But didn't know it would be so much thicker.

Excited to try it for any difference. I ended up making another salt bar in a column mold instead and I think its going to stick. Lol.

??? Well you have to actually USE palm oil. If she was using a palm oil that was not hydrogenated (which I have never seen) and now she is using the regular palm oil that most soapers use yes her soap should be harder than her batches using the other kind. (And less prone, at least a little, to dos).

Still new to this so I was just checking. Still trying to chase that elusive nice, hard bar that has really good conditioning as well. I will just keep using what I have been using.

Palm, lard and tallow all add hardness to your soaps. What oils are you using?

Palm, lard and tallow all add hardness to your soaps. What oils are you using?

I've used lard, but all my batches have palm. Lately I have been trying to make some hard but high conditioning to use as a body and shampoo bar. Though, I am not sure if that is achievable.

Latest posts

Back