Olive Oil RBD vs. Olive Oil Pure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, long time no post. If you remember, I had a baby and boy am I tired 😂 . It's been six months and I'm trying to get properly back into the swing of things. I've been using my old oils up but am going to be making an oil purchase soon so I've been looking up all the usual suppliers.

I am looking at Jedward's and I'm a long time Soaper's Choice customer, so I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the choices that Jedward's has in comparison.
From what I'm reading, the Olive Oil Pure is the closest to what I buy from SC (the Olive Refined A)...but does anyone here have any experience with the RBD....I do like the idea of it being lighter. Does it behave similarly to the regular refined olive? Is it worth the switch?

XY question: When you're into light oils, why not high-oleic sunflower/safflower oil?
No answer other than I haven't tried it...don't know how my final product will be affected and I do like what I have already. It certainly would be a cost savings to switch out the olive, but olive has good label appeal.

No answer other than I haven't tried it...don't know how my final product will be affected and I do like what I have already. It certainly would be a cost savings to switch out the olive, but olive has good label appeal.
I would also suggest high oleic safflower/sunflower oil

does anyone here have any experience with the RBD....I do like the idea of it being lighter. Does it behave similarly to the regular refined olive? Is it worth the switch?

I use just standard OO from Costco...I save the EVOO for cooking. It's already fairly light and I get an off-white/creamy soap and it just smells like 'soap'.

The only time I use a 'deodorized' product is Cocoa Butter and only when I use certain scents.

Try a gallon, see if you like it.

I do use a lot of RBO, so I’ll have to keep an eye on the linolenic
Major reason to go for HO sunflower! It has 8% less PUFAs than OO, that means even better margins for high-linoleic additions. Besides being much cheaper, lighter in colour, and with lower DOS risk, it behaves just like OO in soap.

I use just standard OO from Costco...I save the EVOO for cooking. It's already fairly light and I get an off-white/creamy soap and it just smells like 'soap'.

The only time I use a 'deodorized' product is Cocoa Butter and only when I use certain scents.

Try a gallon, see if you like it.
For me, SC is a fair bit cheaper than Costco even with shipping

For me, SC is a fair bit cheaper than Costco even with shipping
LOL there is another thread going on right now about how SC is cost effective for some folks but not for others. Seems to depend on how close you are. For me, the shipping more than doubles the price of their oils. Too bad, because I do like them, but they are usually the least affordable option for me.

LOL there is another thread going on right now about how SC is cost effective for some folks but not for others. Seems to depend on how close you are. For me, the shipping more than doubles the price of their oils. Too bad, because I do like them, but they are usually the least affordable option for me.
I'm close enough that if SC gets it ready before noon, I will get it the next day. Sorry @AliOop 🙁

Happy New Year, all. Resurrecting this thread while working on cost analysis. I'm drawn to the convo about HO sunflower oil as a good performing oil to replace some of the olive oil in my formulas. Anyone have experiences to share? Many thanks in advance. SC refined A is currently slightly less for me than Costco even with shipping. If I can also swap out with some HO sunflower, my bottom line might look a little nicer.

@scentseeker I replaced OO with HO sunflower in most of my recipes. I formulate my recipes based on fatty acid profiles and the replacement process was gradual so I can’t give any side by side comparison insights. In the calculators, HO sun has more oleic and less palmitic and linoleic compared with OO. if you went with a straight replacement you might see the trace time slow down a little due to the increased oleic and decreased palmitic.

@scentseeker I replaced OO with HO sunflower in most of my recipes. I formulate my recipes based on fatty acid profiles and the replacement process was gradual so I can’t give any side by side comparison insights. In the calculators, HO sun has more oleic and less palmitic and linoleic compared with OO. if you went with a straight replacement you might see the trace time slow down a little due to the increased oleic and decreased palmitic.
Hey, thanks. I'm mostly considering replacing 50% of my OO. Probably get that done today. Minor reformulation based on SAP only takes minutes. Thanks again.

I need to sit myself down and make comparison test batches for myself. But my question on subbing HOSO or RBO for OO is how much it affects the hardness of the bar.

My adorable puppy ❤ knocked over my drink on my notebook and I lost some of my notes on target numbers. I remember the linoleic <14 but lost the target palmetic and stearic. Ugh!

Hope

Resurrecting this thread while working on cost analysis. I'm drawn to the convo about HO sunflower oil as a good performing oil to replace some of the olive oil in my formulas. Anyone have experiences to share?
If you're looking to improve "profit margin", you might want to try SC's Pomace OO. That is what I have been using since I first started making soap in 2004. It's also what I used to formulate Zany's No Slime Castile.

When it comes to replacing OO with HO Sunflower, it is worth noting that when I added 12% Sunflower that I needed to use up to the above formula, the bars had noticeable slime. Graphically speaking, I think of OO as "Superwoman" and Sunflower as "Sleeping Beauty". This is just me, but for a difference of pennies per ounce, olive oil in CP or LS outperforms any other oil you care to choose. Sunflower is wonderful in lotion and lip balms and outperforms OO in those cases.

The best sub for Olive Oil in my experience is Almond Oil. I've made both 100% CP and Liquid Soap with impressive results.

there is another thread going on right now about how SC is cost effective for some folks but not for others. Seems to depend on how close you are. For me, the shipping more than doubles the price of their oils.
I order 4 products at a time to spread the cost of shipping over all. For me, from SC in Chicago to the Denver area, a gallon of OO (or whatever) costs around $17 to ship alone. If I add coconut, PKO and palm to the order, that adds about $1 each to the shipping. ;):thumbs:

BTW, SC's Pomace Olive Oil "cubetainer" (35 lbs) is a bargain even with shipping cost added in. It may take a year or more to use up but OO is known to have a long shelf life and may be worth it over time.

ETA: SC offers 50/50 Pomace Olive Oil / Rice Bran Oil which may be your best option when considering bottom line profit margin.

Last edited:
Happy New Year, all. Resurrecting this thread while working on cost analysis. I'm drawn to the convo about HO sunflower oil as a good performing oil to replace some of the olive oil in my formulas. Anyone have experiences to share? Many thanks in advance. SC refined A is currently slightly less for me than Costco even with shipping. If I can also swap out with some HO sunflower, my bottom line might look a little nicer.

Word of caution...don't get so focused on 'cost' that you lose what makes your soap good soap.

My cost for a plain bar of soap is $0.87USD and I use Olive, Coconut, Palm (RSPO) and Castor Oils, and Cocoa and Shea Butters. If I eliminated the Butters I could drop my costs to $0.59USD a bar, but then my soap wouldn't be the same. It should be noted that when I first started making soap, sans the Butters, my cost per bar was $1.19. How I got my costs down was watching my shipping costs and buying in larger quantities.

Latest posts

Back