Palm free harder bar??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have used beeswax at 3% with good results, but that recipe does have a little palm and it has coconut and cocoa butter. very hard bar.

carebear said:
SudsyKat said:
I've heard that sodium lactate helps with hardening the soap as well. I've never used it, but that's what I hear.

I'll be trying that out this weekend. My soaps are seriously rock hard, but for some that's because I've had the luxury of a looooooong cure time (for others it's the 75% coconut oil LOL).

I use sodium lactate and while the soap seems to get a bit harder initially, I'm not so sure I can tell much difference in a 3 month old bar.

Well, hello!
I'm in NZ too.

I make OO70% +CO30% and find it quite soft.
I always though OO was a soft bar and that's why you put a bit of CO in.

So I have no idea why everyone is now saying it's a hard bar.
You got me flumixed!

star, what % was your lye solution, and how long do you let them cure?

OO gets ROCK hard.

35% lye concentration.
1050g ooP
450g co
400g water
212g lye

I do use pomace OO now, but the first few batches were regular. I couldnt tell the difference.
I just poked an old bar from about 4 months ago and could still make a mark - with a lot of pressure. and the same with a month old bar.

If you google 'olive oil soap hardness' most responses (but not all) seem to deal with it's lack of hardness??

It doesnt matter to me, I love my soap!
It's cheap and easy to make so I don't mind if it goes quickly.
It's amazing the different outcomes people get with the same'ish recipes, isnt it.

Hi Star,

An off topic question that I've been dying to ask...

Where do you buy your supplies?

There doesnt seem to be a lot of options on line as far as frag and colours, the only site I can find is aromatics, who do you use?

Would love to order from overseas, but not sure who posts to NZ :D

busymakinsoap! said:
Hi Star,

An off topic question that I've been dying to ask...

Where do you buy your supplies?

There doesnt seem to be a lot of options on line as far as frag and colours, the only site I can find is aromatics, who do you use?

Would love to order from overseas, but not sure who posts to NZ :D
Can't help you there.
I make plain soap.
I get those 2 oils from Davis trading!

I'm not into all the crazy stuff people do with their soaps on here.
Too darn expensive!
and I can't smell so kinda pointless for me.

My soap is absolutely lovely as it is. (proudly smug!)

Where you at?

busymakinsoap! said:
Another thing, I mad goats milk honey and oats from the 2nd recipe and it stinks! Not like burnt honey (I've done that before) I left it uncovered and it is a beautiful creamy yellow colour (with a hint of green ;) )
but........I did use manuka honey I'm wondering if that is the cause??

The stink will go away. Give it some time. My OMH stinks, too, but once it cures, it will have a nice soap smell.

soapbuddy said:
I use beeswax in every batch and people love it. I take the results of soap calc with a grain of salt.

What percentage of beeswax do you use soapbuddy? I've been using 1% in my bars because I thought it cut down on ash...but didn't help with my last cp batch.

FloridaSoaper said:
soapbuddy said:
I use beeswax in every batch and people love it. I take the results of soap calc with a grain of salt.

What percentage of beeswax do you use soapbuddy? I've been using 1% in my bars because I thought it cut down on ash...but didn't help with my last cp batch.
I use about 1.5%

There are many other soap calculators out there. Do a google search. Always remember that this is not just a science but also and art! Which means trail and error!

Latest posts

Back