Over blended? Ruined?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Today I tried a simple cold process recipe using only one oil. It was 100% palm kernel oil.

Anyway, I'm concerned that I may have done something wierd to mess up my soap because instead of making the usual greyish white bars that are sort of transluscent, this batch has gone nearly 100% opaque white with almost no transluscent greyness at all.

I think I may have blended it too much with my stick blender. It seemed to trace up just fine, but as I whipped it a little extra, just to make sure it was fully blended, it turned very white.

Now I know this feedstock is supposed to make hard & white bars, but most of the previous batches I tried initially turned into a greyish transluscent white, not an opaque snow white.

This happened once before & a local soapmaker told me that maybe I never added enough water.

This time I used the soapcalc at www.lyedepot.com and it gave me a very small batch using the following figures:

*palm kernel oil-224 gm (grams)
*water-89.6 gm
*lye-33.2 gm

this is a very simple recipe-pretty hard to mess it up. Unfortunately, I can be pretty simple sometimes...

Did I whip this stuff too much?

Is it too dry?

Is there anything anyone can think of that might explain what I'm seeing here with this last batch?

Take a deep breath, admire how wonderful the white looks and let it cure. My tallow soap turned white very quickly and is still bright white....

If it zaps you in a couple of days you'll know you have a problem....your recipe looks fine though...

HTH

I would think that a 100% PKO soap would trace fairly quickly.
And enjoy it's whiteness..folks work really hard to get white soap!
BTW Nice to see you back on here Welder, haven't seen you around for a while.

Thanks everyone!

It's nice to be back. I hope you are all well.

Yeah, I know that whiteness is a goal in soapmaking for some, but it just really surprised me how fast it turned white & how white it actually got.

It is white as snow almost.

I just tried it a couple days ago.

It seems fine, but it makes a stragely rancid smell while lathering up. The smell goes away after rinsing though.

Another batch I made using some differend PKO earlier on would make a very rancid smell during washing, then leave the smell behind afterwards! At least this soap doesn't leave the stench behind!

I'm calling it successful...

topcat said:
Did you add any scent to either batch?

Tanya :)

No scents added yet.

I might try that soon.

First I'll try to see if the scent can be reduced to a less noticeable level of intensity by going maybe 50/50 with palm oil.

Latest posts

Back