orange top?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbedaded

Reaction score
Still very new at this--about 8 batches (including one epic fail) under my belt but still finding myself surprised by results!

I had made a batch of soap I (and friends and family) really liked. It's a goat milk soap. Recipe as follows:
9 oz coconut oil
21 oz olive oil
9 oz goat milk
4.1 oz lye

I just made a second batch using the exact same recipe, and same fragrance. Only changes were: 1 1/2 tsp sodium lactate, and I sprayed the top with 99% isopropyl alcohol and covered with plastic wrap before putting in freezer, then fridge.
(I am guilty of using the press and stick wrap--i didn't have any of the regular stuff in the house)
The place where the plastic wrap and soap touched has turned an interesting shade of orange. (and when I say interesting, i mean unattractive, and I'm going to have to trim is off).
So--cause? alcohol? wrong plastic wrap? sodium lactate? some other mysterious thing??
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would guess the sticky stuff on the plastic wrap. It's coated with glue, and who knows what high lye concentration will do to it!

I would guess the sticky stuff on the plastic wrap. It's coated with glue, and who knows what high lye concentration will do to it!

I believe you are right. It was a really dumb thing to do.....

Oh well, Ill know better next time!

If you aren't doing a high top you can still use the press and seal. Just make sure to secure the plastic high enough that it's not touching the soap or flip it over if you want to be certain.

I've used press and seal to line molds with no issue. Just keep the glue side away from where it can react

Maybe has nothing to do with it, but that seems to be to big of a quantity of goats milk in your recipe?

Back