Orange Peel Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...did many searches and have come up empty til today. My only clue was a recipe someone else posted for a semi solid lotion who is using it at 5% of the total oils. Sounds like a good jumping off point.....wondering what it might do for hair conditioner.

I was hoping someone would comment. I have looked at the different waxes and wished I could afford them! Could you use it in a lip balm? I bet it smells fantastic.

Based on no available information, I would do a try a known lower SF recipe (like 2), and simply add 5-10% orange wax.

How does the beast even look ? Do you know it's melting point ?

The logic is to prevent an excessive superfat of the final result.

Confirmed.....
70-110 SAP value for NaOH

3% usage suggested for lotions and balms....higher levels can be used in soap but they did not specify what the max was.

They did state it was unrefined so it can stain skin if used in too high a percentage. I would probably start at 5% in soap/shampoo bars

My thoughts as well.....I suppose a test batch is in order using 90 as the average. If I soap at 8-10% SF, it should remain in a safe range I hope.

Using it in a 5% SF soap might be too risky.

Okay, I know this is a really old post, but it's all I could find as I searched for more information about orange peel wax. I hoped I could get an update, as not much was known about the wax when the op first inquired about it. Has anyone used it? How did it go? Any ideas on how to use it in cp soap? I'll probably try it in a test batch of lotion using it at 5% of the total oils to see how it does, but any advice from someone who has experimented already would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Howdy!

I'm a HP soaper, so I don't know how it behaves in CP. I added 1 oz. at trace and didn't count it into my oils. The only real difference in the finished soap was that it gave my tangerine EO more staying power and tint. I can't say that it made it more conditioning, perhaps I didn't add enough. I'm thinking this would do better in a leave on product, like butter or lotion. On NDA, a lot of the reviewers were using it to polish furniture :?

Here's a data sheet from the main processor of citrus waxes:

http://kosterkeunen.com/assets/pdf/Cosmetics/OrangePeelWax.pdf

LOL!! I read the reviews from NDA...I think that's actually where I got mine...and I was sort of surprised to see how some of them use it, so I was hoping I could find more about using it in soap here. But thanks anyway!! :)

Latest posts

Back