Orange Juice and Orange EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled them out of the freezer. They were very brownish orange at pour but lightened a lil after an hour. Dont’ think the color will end up as nice as the carrot juice soap above it.

upload_2019-1-27_13-46-44.jpeg

How is the color curing out @Dean ?
Since I realized I ran out of orange soap I made it again today. Decided not to add orange peel to all of the soap this time, but split the batch into orange juice only, juice+peel and juice+blood orange peel. Also wanted to play around with blood orange juice, but since it's super pink and most pink turns brown in soap and this recipe uses expensive oils I decided not to.. might still try another time with another recipe though.
You can see the result here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/orange-juice-peel-soap.73557/

Dull light yellow with slight pinkish tones. :( I had to separate them from the other soaps they wouldn't get bullied for being fugly.

Yours came out nice.
That's too bad! Though I'm sure they're not ugly, just not the color you hoped to get.
The part with only orange juice in my soap also doesn't have a lot of color and it's probably going to fade away completely.. so orange juice doesn't seem to be the best option for making orange soap. I have some blood orange juice in the freezer, might try that with a different recipe, see if I can make the ugliest brown while shooting for a pretty orange (or pink):p

That's too bad! Though I'm sure they're not ugly, just not the color you hoped to get.
The part with only orange juice in my soap also doesn't have a lot of color and it's probably going to fade away completely.. so orange juice doesn't seem to be the best option for making orange soap. I have some blood orange juice in the freezer, might try that with a different recipe, see if I can make the ugliest brown while shooting for a pretty orange (or pink):p

Just looked at them again. They are the color of Granny’s make-up found decades after she croaked. Luckily we found Granny before her make-up. @Dawni can pass her fuglies off as river rocks but wants to bathe with dead Granny’s make up? That’s just creepy.

I’m going to stick to carrot juice. I like the golden ylw I get from it.

I really luv the look of the soap below but its sadly beyond my limited capabilities.

upload_2019-1-31_18-43-50.jpeg

Lol that's because HP is very forgiving and it's a given they won't be as smooth as CP soaps so they've set the standards for MY soap real low :p

But don't be like that, I'm sure you're very capable of making that soap, you just need to find the right ingredients for it, and the correct amounts. How bout carrot juice or tomato puree? Or maybe even papaya if you can find it? I'm sure the good people here will have good suggestions.

Lol that's because HP is very forgiving and it's a given they won't be as smooth as CP soaps so they've set the standards for MY soap real low :p

But don't be like that, I'm sure you're very capable of making that soap, you just need to find the right ingredients for it, and the correct amounts. How bout carrot juice or tomato puree? Or maybe even papaya if you can find it? I'm sure the good people here will have good suggestions.

I tried it once but failed. I admire u gals that can do the fancies. Luckily, I can blame the lack of artistry on my unfortunate Y chromosome.

I wonder if that is tomato paste....

Last edited:
I wonder if that is tomato paste....
Could be, right?

I tried it once but failed. I admire u gals that can do the fancies. Luckily, I can blame the lack of artistry on my unfortunate Y chromosome.
Ha! You're gonna get it from the other chromosome impaired members of this here forum lols but seriously once isn't enough! Have you seen the amount of fuglies I've posted in the last few months? Haha

We'll get there ;)

Just looked at them again. They are the color of Granny’s make-up found decades after she croaked. Luckily we found Granny before her make-up. @Dawni can pass her fuglies off as river rocks but wants to bathe with dead Granny’s make up? That’s just creepy.

I really luv the look of the soap below but its sadly beyond my limited capabilities.

View attachment 35735
Would you try a clay Dean?

I used real lemon juice in a soap and it was a lovely creamy shade. Give it a go Dean and report back - remember to calculate out the citric acid and compensate with extra lye. Duh - says me like I'm the expert.
Pics of my orange and patchouli soap ( just orange and patchouli EO in the base, and the top coloured with bronze mica):
View attachment 35392
This soap is awesome..

View attachment 35735
Please don't be so hard on your soaps! And don't blame your Y chomosome, my boyfriend is way more artistic than me and I'm sure he's not the only one:p
If it makes you feel any better, one of my first soaps was a HP with honey added after cook. It was supposed to be green, but I added the honey too early and it scorched. It stank and turned an ugly greenish brown so I called it my baby poop soap:cool::p
The color in the picture could be from pink kaolin clay. If you want to use it, I suggest you buy white and red kaolin clay and mix it yourself, so you can play with different shaded of pink. (Commercial pink kaolin is premixed).

I did soap several months back using alkanet root powder which was HP and had apple cider vinegar. The soap itself turned out too soft but was a beautiful PINK color similar to the above. (Color of Alkanet is dependent upon pH). Just rebatched the soap and color has been stable. Now to try to reproduce the color in an adjusted formula!

So I still had that blood orange juice in the freezer and decided to go for it.. upon initial contact with lye it turned blackish green:eek: but after all the lye was mixed in it had turned a lovely orange. Mixed in some peel to part of the batter for contrast. So now we know what blood orange juice does in soap: the same as regular orange juice.
IMG_20190202_180548.jpg

Latest posts

Back