Opinions on Spa Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of a CP spa bar, with my inspiration coming from Soap Queen's "Activated Charcoal & Rose Clay" MP soap. I decided on a few of these oils because I have an abundance so want to use them up. The mango butter is in there because it's all I have on hand at the moment (butter wise, anyway). I plan to add activated charcoal to half and rose clay to the other half. Haven't decided on scent yet. The soap calc numbers are decent. Let me know what you think and if I should make any changes. Thanks everyone in advance!

20% Sweet Almond
20% CO
20% PO
20% Avocado
10% Olive
5% Sunflower
5% Mango Butter

i would go ahead and make it :) should be nice and mild, esp after a long cure. goodluck!

I was also inspired by that post! Mine's very pretty. I used Rose Geranium EO. I learned that using aquarium charcoal is tougher than I thought! It comes in little rice-sized grains and they do not break up easily with the stick blender! I had to crush them with a spoon.

i would go ahead and make it :) should be nice and mild, esp after a long cure. goodluck!

I think I'll do it, mostly out of curiosity. I'm interested to know how I feel about the SAO, CO, PO & avocado in equal proportions. Hopefully it'll feel as luxurious as I think. :think:

I was also inspired by that post! Mine's very pretty. I used Rose Geranium EO. I learned that using aquarium charcoal is tougher than I thought! It comes in little rice-sized grains and they do not break up easily with the stick blender! I had to crush them with a spoon.

I thought of rose geranium also! Rose clay...rose geranium. I think I have to do it, lol. Maybe sandalwood and/or patchouli with the charcoal? Can't decide yet. I never even thought of aquarium charcoal! Okay, so I've never actually had an aquarium so didn't know was there was such a beast out there. If I ever happen to notice it, now I'll point and mutter "Not for soap!" The other shoppers will probably call security but at least I'll know not to buy it before they drag me away in a straight jacket. :crazy:

LOL, I was going to suggest Rose Geranium!! I would recommend not going to heavy on the rose clay since it can stain. Powdered activated charcoal is much easier to use and is much less expensive on Amazon. It is Mulitvita brand and comes in 1 lb bags

LOL, I was going to suggest Rose Geranium!! I would recommend not going to heavy on the rose clay since it can stain. Powdered activated charcoal is much easier to use and is much less expensive on Amazon. It is Mulitvita brand and comes in 1 lb bags

Thanks for the Amazon suggestion - I'll definitely check it out! I was going to use 1.5 Tbsp of Rose clay in 1.5 lbs oils. Do you think that will be too much? Also the same for the activated charcoal.

Only thing I would suggest is to maybe add a little vitamin E or ROE because the almond oil may cause DOS in that high of a percentage. I've always read it shouldn't be used over 10%-15%. Just a thought. Otherwise, it looks like it'll make a fabulous soap!

Only thing I would suggest is to maybe add a little vitamin E or ROE because the almond oil may cause DOS in that high of a percentage. I've always read it shouldn't be used over 10%-15%. Just a thought. Otherwise, it looks like it'll make a fabulous soap!

Thanks for that advice, hmlove! Unfortunately I just finished molding so couldn't add either. :neutral: I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for DOS. Can you see it very well in charcoal soap? Hopefully if it shows up I'll be able to spot it in the pink clay side. It went smoothly so that was a bonus. I used my square silicone molds so won't be able to unmold for a couple of days which makes me very sad. :sad: I decided on sandalwood for the charcoal base and Mediterranean Garden Spa (EB&B) for the rose clay top. Now I just need to exercise patience.....

Update on My Spa Bar

It's now been curing almost 4 weeks. I haven't used it yet which has been hard! The scent is amazing and I'll definitely use both again. I got a lot of ash which isn't abnormal for me. In this pic I washed a lot of it off but not all. I think I'll probably leave it as is. The lather I got while washing was soft and creamy plus, my hands smell great now! :D

Charcoal & Rose Clay.jpg

Those colors really work well together!

I don't know what a "spa" bar is....what exactly makes it "spa"?

Thanks lenarenee! Good question about the "spa" term, lol. I called it that for a few reasons. Primarily because of the inspiration from Soap Queen's spa bar but also the recipe is different for me with higher % of more luxury oils like the sweet almond and avocado. Plus the scent is very high end "spa-like". The primary fragrance that comes through is from EB&B, Mediterranean Garden Spa (which I highly recommend). Also the use of activated charcoal and rose clay are reputed to have cleansing and purifying properties. In the end I'm hoping for a gentle, creamy, conditioning bar that leaves the bather in a calmed and relaxed frame of mind. I'll find out once I take it to the shower! :razz:

Oh those look great!! I did mine with Morrocan red clay and madder root infusion for the red, and anise and lavender for the scent. I just love them, I've made two batches and will be needing more soon. I kinda like the soda ash look on yours, gives it a bit of an antique look.

Thanks lenarenee! Good question about the "spa" term, lol. I called it that for a few reasons. Primarily because of the inspiration from Soap Queen's spa bar but also the recipe is different for me with higher % of more luxury oils like the sweet almond and avocado. Plus the scent is very high end "spa-like". The primary fragrance that comes through is from EB&B, Mediterranean Garden Spa (which I highly recommend). Also the use of activated charcoal and rose clay are reputed to have cleansing and purifying properties. In the end I'm hoping for a gentle, creamy, conditioning bar that leaves the bather in a calmed and relaxed frame of mind. I'll find out once I take it to the shower! :razz:

Ah, I see...decadent sumptuous goodness!

Latest posts

Back