Elderly skin CP recipe help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie68121

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers
I am trying to formulate a recipe for my grandparents. Here is what I'm thinking for ingredients:
Palm 40%
Cocoa butter 25%
Olive 20%
Coconut oil 10%
Castor 5%
SF 5%
LC 33%
I was going to add coconut milk for half my water content. No fragrance. Also was thinking of adding pink kaolin clay or would that be too much exfoliation for elderly skin?
Problem is INS number is 149. I would like it to be slightly higher for a harder bar, but I don't want to go up too much in CO because I know CO may be over drying for elderly skin types. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Making a change to my standard recipe to keep the coconut at 10% would be -
Lard 50%
Olive oil 35%
Coconut 10%
Castor 5%

Although many people find too much olive (or even any olive at all!) to be a problem, so HO sunflower or so could be an option, or using 20% olive and 15% avocado oil.

Other than that I would keep it simple - I wouldn't not add a scent at all as I don't know why that would always be an issue for older skin. But I would go for something like lavender eo or so.

I've never used clay in my soaps so I can't say what it would add which would be good or bad for what you are aiming for, so I can't advise on that

Making a change to my standard recipe to keep the coconut at 10% would be -
Lard 50%
Olive oil 35%
Coconut 10%
Castor 5%

Although many people find too much olive (or even any olive at all!) to be a problem, so HO sunflower or so could be an option, or using 20% olive and 15% avocado oil.

Other than that I would keep it simple - I wouldn't not add a scent at all as I don't know why that would always be an issue for older skin. But I would go for something like lavender eo or so.

I've never used clay in my soaps so I can't say what it would add which would be good or bad for what you are aiming for, so I can't advise on that
Thanks! I don’t use lard in my soaps but ty for the input.

I say go for it. Make a very small batch. Test it thoroughly before giving it to the grandparents.

If it was me though I'd lower the cocoa slightly and increase the olive a little (actually if it was me I'd change it entirely to something else lol maybe RBO or sweet almond or even avocado). I'd even lower the superfat with only 10% coconut oil. If it was me lol

See how those numbers suit you. Maybe you can make 2 tiny batches.

Latest posts

Back