Opinions on Shrink Wrapping CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DopeSoap

Reaction score
Good or bad? Let me know.

My thought is that I am aiming for online sales, I'm aware that I won't be selling a lot of soap right away with that approach and I want the soap I make to stay as fresh an scented as the day it is done curing. Idk.

Thanks

I'd suggest you do some testing.
There are several different types of shrink wrap.
How were you planning to wrap? Completely or just the sides?

I found that *most* scents held up for at least 6 months, some as long as a year. However, some lost their scent all together. One type of bar did great unwrapped but got really soft and stinky when it was shrink wrapped for 6 months. That particular EO failed in all types of shrink, pvc, poly and the breathable.

Basically, there aren't too many shortcuts, it all comes down to testing.

Deda said:
I'd suggest you do some testing.
There are several different types of shrink wrap.
How were you planning to wrap? Completely or just the sides?

I found that *most* scents held up for at least 6 months, some as long as a year. However, some lost their scent all together. One type of bar did great unwrapped but got really soft and stinky when it was shrink wrapped for 6 months. That particular EO failed in all types of shrink, pvc, poly and the breathable.

Basically, there aren't too many shortcuts, it all comes down to testing.

I was planning to wrap the entire bar, I have poly wrap I believe. What EO was it that failed?

I first used PVC shrink wrap bags, but then switched to polyolefin which breathes and allows the scent to come through. Only one FO (a banana scent) faded bith wrapped and unwrapped... but I didn't like that soap or the company I bought the FO from anyway so I would not make it again.
Aside from that no other issues and I have had some soap wrapped for over a year that still looks and smells just fine.

But this in no way contradicts what Deda says... test it yourself with your own soaps or you will never know for sure.

xyxoxy said:
I first used PVC shrink wrap bags, but then switched to polyolefin which breathes and allows the scent to come through. Only one FO (a banana scent) faded bith wrapped and unwrapped... but I didn't like that soap or the company I bought the FO from anyway so I would not make it again.
Aside from that no other issues and I have had some soap wrapped for over a year that still looks and smells just fine.

But this in no way contradicts what Deda says... test it yourself with your own soaps or you will never know for sure.

Yeah, I have been testing, and I guess another 6 months to a year from now I will know for sure, I just didn't want to keep doing it and then find out that all cp soaps rot and turn into mucus in shrink wrap. Looks good so far and my bars all seem to be really resilient to time/temperature

Keeo the comments coming!

Thanks

DopeSoap said:
...I just didn't want to keep doing it and then find out that all cp soaps rot and turn into mucus in shrink wrap...

Has not happened to me but that's one of the reasons I prefer polyolefin wrap. The soap can continue to breathe and cure (which means water is evaporating and is not trapped inside the package). Also the smell comes through polyolefin which is so much nicer than putting a pretty bar of soap up to your nose and smelling plastic... or nothing.

If a scent is going to fade it is going to fade. I personally don't think trapping it inside of plastic wrap is the answer.

Does anyone know if Dan's Shrink Wrap bands from MMS are regular shrink wrap or polyolefin??? I can't figure it out from the site and though I could write to them, I figure the soapers here have used the enough that maybe someone knows.

xyxoxy said:
DopeSoap said:
...I just didn't want to keep doing it and then find out that all cp soaps rot and turn into mucus in shrink wrap...

Has not happened to me but that's one of the reasons I prefer polyolefin wrap. The soap can continue to breathe and cure (which means water is evaporating and is not trapped inside the package). Also the smell comes through polyolefin which is so much nicer than putting a pretty bar of soap up to your nose and smelling plastic... or nothing.

If a scent is going to fade it is going to fade. I personally don't think trapping it inside of plastic wrap is the answer.

Actually, it is possible to keep the scent longer in shrink wrap because the bar is not exposed to the air. You can smell scents because they give off particles into the air that will eventually be exhausted. This is why you should not leave a toothbrush in the open air in your bathroom... think about it. :D

Back