Oops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
I had a little jar of coconut oil that my grandmother had for years. It didn't smell off, and so far as I can tell it didn't look off but I didn't want to combine it with oils that I just bought and know are good, so I measured it out, figured out how much water and lye I would need. I mixed the lye and water, melted the coconut oil, blended them all together. And then I added in my salt. I've wanted to try salt soap since I heard about it and I figured this small test batch would be a good way to give it a try. The coconut oil was only 338grams and I figured with a superfat of 15% that would make up if I happened to go a tad over with the lye for such a small batch. (I think my thinking was on the right track).

Anyway, I don't have proper molds yet and I didn't feel like eating yet another can of pringles in order to have a round one for this. So I used a tupperware container. I figured I always seem to have excess soap so this will be a good size, especially with the salt that should theoretically about double the size of the oil that I had. So I lined it with parchment paper and poured it all in...and realized my mold was way to big. So scanning my shelves I found a few boxes that I managed to tuck between the paper and the sides of the box and sort of... funnel the soap into a canal in the middle. I think this has got to be my first facepalm moment. I am really not looking forward to more. :oops:

Back