OMG!! Sticker shock!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I have mentioned, I am returning after an extended break in soap making. Last time I made soap was well before Covid. I went to the supermarket to do some informal pricing. I never expected the shock! A pound of lard used to cost 2.85. It now costs 4.79!! Olive oil was 19.00 for 3 liters. Now it is 32.00 for 3 liters.

This is probably old news to most of you. How have you handled this? Did you have to raise your prices? I am currently selling my bars at $5 apiece or $4 apiece for 5 or more. I know this is dirt cheap, considering the size of my bars.

John, I came back to soaping (and to the US) this year after being gone for seven years and yes, the sticker shock was terrible, all my soaping essentials have gone up so much. But then so has everything else. Misschief, I really feel for people who sell and are trying to keep their margins reasonable.

I am afraid it will get worse with WSP buying up every other company in sight. Just this year I was checking prices on butters and Elements had an incredibly good price on mango butter, it was in the mid to high $7's/lb. Now (after Elements was bought by WSP) if you go to WSP and look for mango butter, there is only Crafter's Choice available, for $13.45/lb. I don't understand why all this company-gobbling isn't prompting anti-monopoly analysis by the FTC when these sales go through.

Yes - everything very expensive! Our OO was $NZ9.99 litre from the supermarket, now it's $NZ12.99. In fact, the same price differential for CO. I've always bought these two items straight from the supermarket because they are cheaper, and that is still the case, because my soap supplier charges even more than that!

In 2020 the lye I buy from Home Hardware was around $20 - $25. I went to purchase 2 weeks ago and the price had risen to $45!! 😫😫

Buy in bulk quantities from an independent, trustworthy, local supplier. That's how I got my most recent honking bag of lye, which I still need to get into sealed buckets. It cost me far less per pound / kg that way.

Olive oil is obscene where I am at the moment. Over $40 for 3 litres when I checked about a week ago. I will be speaking to a friend who owns a local store & asking her to order some in for me by the case because I ain't gonna pay supermarket prices. She is someone I trust & has always done the right thing.

If you have any type of contacts who are in any type of business, such as independent owners of a cafe, restaurant, health food store, whatever the case may be, ask them if they can order in a case of oil for you. If they're decent friends, you should get a better price that way.

The other option is to begin an alternative economy in your area. Find like-minded friends who are willing to barter / trade for goods & services, build a network of people like this. You can also make co-op buys with the same or a different group of people, which should lower your costs per individual this way. I and other makers of various types in my area intend on doing a group buy for packaging in the very near future, as well as for butters, essential oils & so on.

We have to think smart, be innovative, flexible and be willing to make changes in our buying habits, to ride this price gouging out.

I have been doing markets lately (trying to recoup some of my costs) and I have had to put my prices down and even with that people hmmm and hawww. For my 100g bars (boxed in recycled paper) I charge $4. The cost of living is so excessive right now - I don't think people have that extra money to spend on luxuries if it means that or groceries. I will keep my prices at this price just to off-load them and until our economy smartens up a wee bit.

I have been doing markets lately (trying to recoup some of my costs) and I have had to put my prices down and even with that people hmmm and hawww. For my 100g bars (boxed in recycled paper) I charge $4. The cost of living is so excessive right now - I don't think people have that extra money to spend on luxuries if it means that or groceries. I will keep my prices at this price just to off-load them and until our economy smartens up a wee bit.

I am doing the opposite & increasing prices for next year, close to double what I am currently charging LOL My reason is that I have no wish to 'cheapen' my brand in customers' eyes AND my products are worth every penny, as is the time, effort & quality control I put into them. My taw materials costs are also increasing, as are the cost of groceries. Perception is everything when it comes to selling products like these....actually, perception is EVERYTHING in all cases.

There are always people who are able to afford whatever price I set AND soap is not something which runs out as fast as a brick of cheese or a gallon of milk does. If made properly & cured properly, it lasts a good long time. So even if I am charging $20 / bar, that averages out to only a few bucks a month. If someone spends $40-$60-$80 on my soap in a year, that still adds up to just over $6 / month at most, which is squat. People find that $6 / month for other things they truly feel they cannot live without - such as the occasional cappuccino 'treat' or the one-in-a-while bottle of beer, so why not for what I am selling them?

Regarding prices of groceries overall, do the same as I mentioned above - group buys / co-op buys / restaurant supply places & so on. We have been doing the same in my community, which is helping many people survive. The biggest hurdle to overcome is not that prices are rising. They have always risen from the first time anything had a 'price' put on it. The biggest hurdle is changing the way we think of doing things, of how we choose to deal with challenges, going from an individual mindset to a collective mindset. The scattered / divided are weak. The collective are much stronger.

The other option is to begin an alternative economy in your area. Find like-minded friends who are willing to barter / trade for goods & services, build a network of people like this. You can also make co-op buys with the same or a different group of people, which should lower your costs per individual this way.

This was the idea I was mulling over a few months ago; starting a co-op buying program with other soapers in the area. I, of course, being a solitary-type person, know no one in the area making soap, but I think the idea is good.

This was the idea I was mulling over a few months ago; starting a co-op buying program with other soapers in the area. I, of course, being a solitary-type person, know no one in the area making soap, but I think the idea is good.

You don't necessarily have to hook up with soap makers. Many other people could benefit from this. People cook with olive oil & are always buying this, not to mention other food-related items.

Then there are preppers who like to have a stock of stuff on hand, as well as people who live more traditionally & sock away things for the next couple of years. My family did this when I was growing up, actually. It was just the way we lived - preparing for future seasons in case of future scarcity due to job loss, failed crops, illness, whatever, because they had already lived through some extremely difficult times & learned from this hardship.

Suggestions for getting hooked up with people, as I am also rather reclusive & prefer my own company to socializing in person, and I also live in a very small community:

• put a call out on several community bulletin boards for people interested in doing co-op / bulk buys
• make a post on this forum to connect with soapers & other makers closer to your area
• put up notices at local churches, community centres, feed stores, schools, whatever you have available in your area
• put a cheap ad in a locally produced newspaper or newsletter
• start an email group with friends / family / colleagues for this purpose
• start a neighbourhood potluck once a month or whatever works for you all for the specific purpose of getting together to coordinate these bulk buys; this also builds community & greater security as neighbours get to know each other (we do this in my community & have an incredibly low crime rate, an added plus)

Hooking people up can all be done very low budget, with a little bit of effort. There is more effort in co-ordinating the buys, contacting suppliers, pooling the money needed, distributing the buys when they come in. This, for me, is preferable over stressing over every single penny & wondering how in god's name I'm going to feed myself & supply myself to keep my personal endeavours going. I get to take back control, rather than being at the mercy of other people & other factors. It's very freeing & empowering, two things which we have all lost. Freedom & power.

But as I've said before, it takes a shift in consciousness, the way we think about things / ourselves, as well as our typical buying habits, which are clearly no longer working for many people.

This is a very big opportunity to make change for the good of family, friends, neighbours, entire communities. Once this becomes a habit, as it did with my family over time, it's just like anything else. And there are some very big side benefits.

Last edited:
As I have mentioned, I am returning after an extended break in soap making. Last time I made soap was well before Covid. I went to the supermarket to do some informal pricing. I never expected the shock! A pound of lard used to cost 2.85. It now costs 4.79!! Olive oil was 19.00 for 3 liters. Now it is 32.00 for 3 liters.

This is probably old news to most of you. How have you handled this? Did you have to raise your prices? I am currently selling my bars at $5 apiece or $4 apiece for 5 or more. I know this is dirt cheap, considering the size of my bars.
I handled it by retiring from selling soaps when covid hit... It is just too expensive today, and I am sure you know I sold for a long time.
EDTA: Back when I was selling I sold my bars for $7, average 5 oz bars. Some bigger never smaller

Latest posts

Back