Olive oil batch help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaws33

Reaction score
I am making an all olive oil bar right now and I used this recipe:

water 8.5 ounces
lye 3.05 ounces
olive oil 23.5 ounces

Then my batch of soap didn't set up all the way. Soaponification had occurred though because the batch is a creamy white color. But around the edges and on the top it is a little mushy. Is this due to the recipe which I got from the soap calc with a 15 hardness or is this from not letting the batch just sit long enough.

I have not unmolded yet and am going to let it sit over the weekend to see if it hardens up more.

Opinions?????

It's my understanding that olive oil soap in particular takes longer to set up - mine took something like 3-5 days before I was willing to try taking it out of the mold. How long has it been already?

My first batch of castile took nearly 4 days to harden and a total of 6 days before it could be neatly cut... Takes forever...

My second batch of castile I chose to soap with a higher lye ratio and I was able to unmold in a few hours and almost impossible to cut the next day! :shock:

outlaws33 said:
I am making an all olive oil bar right now and I used this recipe:

water 8.5 ounces
lye 3.05 ounces
olive oil 23.5 ounces

Then my batch of soap didn't set up all the way. Soaponification had occurred though because the batch is a creamy white color. But around the edges and on the top it is a little mushy. Is this due to the recipe which I got from the soap calc with a 15 hardness or is this from not letting the batch just sit long enough.

I have not unmolded yet and am going to let it sit over the weekend to see if it hardens up more.

Opinions?????
i made some with high olive oil, still not hard, been week and a half! didnt like the smell anyway(lavender).

Imblebee said:
My first batch of castile took nearly 4 days to harden and a total of 6 days before it could be neatly cut... Takes forever...

My second batch of castile I chose to soap with a higher lye ratio and I was able to unmold in a few hours and almost impossible to cut the next day! :shock:

I make my castile with a 40% lye solution (set it on soapcalc) and I'm also able to unmold in a few hours and better cut soon. :)

Latest posts

Back