Olive leaf extract and hibiscus extract as preservative.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giangxamar

Reaction score
I'm planning on making hemp soap with 10% hemp oil, and hemp oil is the most easy type of oil to spoil, so I want to use some preservative to help. I'm having in hand "olive leaf extract" and "hibiscus sabdariffa extract". Both are antioxidant. I have them in 10ml bottle. The problem is that I dont know how to add them to my soap. The recommendation said that I should use them at 2%-5%, and doesnt say how.
I've been searching on the internet and couldnt find it. So could anyone tell me how to add them in my soap, please? Thank you in advance!

Well, first of all antioxidants and preservatives are not the same.

With a decent recipe and low superfat, changes of DOS should be low.
Soap does not need a preservative.

I don't believe that the super fat level impacts DOS, but choice of oils absolutely.

Hemp oil at any level is the kiss of death for me.

As for those materials, I haven't the foggiest.

I love hemp oil and use it all the time without any issues. It generally has a shelf life of 8 months if stored properly. And, by mixing it with other oils you extend its life. Them to further extend it, try adding wheat germ oil to your recipe. It doesnt have to be much, a tsp. ppo will do. Although its not very stable on its own due to high fat content, wg is used all the time to add longevity to shorter termed oils, as it has the highest amount of natural vitamin E. of any food that hasnt been fortified. Remember that the hemp will make for a softer bar of soap though, so keeping it below 30% (and I like it below 20%) is best, but I have seen a recipe in the BB formulary that was all hemp, so it must be a possibility, but I dont think I'd want to blend long enough to get that to trace :lol: Much luck with your soap!

I end up making the batch with 10% of hemp oil and use 3 drop of vitamin E acetate to help the hemp oil from rancidity. I put them in 2 different molds, one to let gel, one not to. They are still very soft after 15 hours of sitting in molds.
Thank you for mentioning about wp oil. I'll purchase it for my future batch.
And theoretically, super fat does impact DOS, i learned :D

carebear said:
I don't believe that the super fat level impacts DOS, but choice of oils absolutely.

Hemp oil at any level is the kiss of death for me.

As for those materials, I haven't the foggiest.

You think so? I always thought that with 'high risk' oils you'd better keep the SF quite low... :?

:lol: But what do I know, never had the *pleasure* of DOS soap with any of my recipes (knock on wood!)

LavenderLady said:
Remember that the hemp will make for a softer bar of soap though, so keeping it below 30% (and I like it below 20%) is best, but I have seen a recipe in the BB formulary that was all hemp, so it must be a possibility.

I personally think that's a bad idea...

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

"Noticably rancid and disgusting:
Sunflower - orange rancid, soft, not real greasy
Corn oil - orangier and rancid.
Safflower - SOFT orange rancid
Grapeseed - orange rancid, soft, greasy.
Hemp - oily, greasy, rancid (we knew this, it started going when we got it). No trace of green now, it's orange.
Soybean - putrid orange wet greasy smelly mess (this hasn't changed much)"

I participated in a couple of single oil swaps. The hemp ones were nasty. From the start they were soft and greasy and quickly went rancid. At 5% lye discount btw.

dagmar88 said:
http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

"Noticably rancid and disgusting:
Sunflower - orange rancid, soft, not real greasy
Corn oil - orangier and rancid.
Safflower - SOFT orange rancid
Grapeseed - orange rancid, soft, greasy.
Hemp - oily, greasy, rancid (we knew this, it started going when we got it). No trace of green now, it's orange.
Soybean - putrid orange wet greasy smelly mess (this hasn't changed much)"

I don't soap with these oils, as what the above stated. But I do find a number of soaps on sale at my place contains them. Am I missing something good here? Do they add these to 'bulk' up the oil coz they are least expensive or they have outstanding quality you want them in the soap despite they contribute to DOS? I just finally manage to get a base I currently like with just OO, CO, PO and Castor.

I like hemp oil because is supposed to be super moisturizing and easy absorbed by the skin. I tried the hemp chap stick from "the body shop" and since then I actually like hemp the most. But i dont like the colour though, it's dark green.

@ dagmar88 - I found that link really usefull and really interesting!

@ soapopera - Ive found the same thing, I always check ingredients in soap now, and it surprises me how many different oils some people use. Like you I really like the basic co, po, oo and castor, sometimes I add a small amount of cocoa, shea or mango butter too, but I keep it pretty simple

Latest posts

Back