oily soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartandsoap

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new. Yesterday I made my first batch of cp in about 5 yrs. It seems nice except is oily/sweating.
I made the recipe myself and everything went well. I added extra fragrance oil impulsively when I may not have needed too. It's fresh out of the mold and cut. I'm wondering if this is a problem or will it dry eventually.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used a melon fragrance oil. Will try to add a pic.

[/img]http://yfrog.com/n1005pij

Looks very pretty! It will probably dry out with time. But you might want to post your recipe to see if anybody spots any formulary problems.

thanks Judy. I have my fingers crossed.

here's the recipe

Castor 6oz, Coconut 18oz, Canola 10oz, Crisco 6oz, Olive 14oz
Water (reverse osmosis) 20.52oz Lye 7.7

fragrance not sure :) at least 2.7 oz

I generally do .5 oz FO or EO PPO which would bring my use to 1.7 oz FO. But I don't like strongly scented soaps. Did the maker of your FOs indicate a limit % for usage in CP soap?

I also find that castor oil (more than 5-10%) tends to make my soaps a little greasy looking when I first cut them and then they dry out fine.

I bet your soap will probably be fine in a week.

I don't think I ever had a soap overheat before so had to research about it. I'm using a HDPE mold for the first time. I just covered like I would have a wooden mold but maybe it retains the heat and needs less insulation.

The soap seems to be drying out a bit already.

Thanks for the help. I shall try again tomorrow with a new batch.

I agree, stick to the recipe . I had everything weighed. Next time will resist last minute impulses.:)

just to update..this soap turned out very nice. just needed to dry :) I've been making soap almost every day since. The fire has been reignited!

Latest posts

Back